Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Concord pots quality (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/concord-pots-quality-307082/)

BrewskiBroski 02-23-2012 01:23 PM

Concord pots quality
 
Hey everyone - I am currently in the process of building a single tier 3 pot electric brewery. I am building the panel now.

After some searching around the web, I had landed on the bayou classic 82qt pots.

However, I did just find the Concord 80 qt pots on ebay for a very reasonable price.
(Ebay pot)

I was wondering if anyone has used these SS pots and can let me know how the quality is?

Also, has anyone drilled into them to add ball valves and electric heating elements? If so, have you had any problems doing so?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

wilserbrewer 02-23-2012 03:36 PM

Group buy going on these...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/100q...49/index3.html

I do recall a recent thread on these but cant find it...all purchasers were satisfied w/ the quality and value as I remember? Try searching for it?

BrewskiBroski 02-23-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilserbrewer (Post 3820635)


lol... i saw that on the classified, that is why I am trying to get some info on these.


Quote:

Originally Posted by wilserbrewer (Post 3820635)
I do recall a recent thread on these but cant find it...all purchasers were satisfied w/ the quality and value as I remember? Try searching for it?


Thanks...the only threads i could find were about the aluminum pots from Concord, i didn't know if anyone had the SS ones as well as had to drill them.

wilserbrewer 02-23-2012 04:03 PM

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/15g-...hipped-305148/

I have a Bayou Classic 44Qt...their kettles are decent, but nothing special, I don't like how they are stamp branded on the sides? Try searching (ebay stainless)

mattyb85 01-02-2013 07:15 PM

did anyone ever find out any reviews on these pots?

ianw58 01-02-2013 07:22 PM

I recently bought three of the 60Qt versions through eBay.

I have not yet drilled into them, but was very surprised at how substantial they appear to be. There isn't much flex in the walls at all.

The bottoms are NOT clad. If that worries you, then go with something else.

At $75 each and a crew in the LA area to pick them for me, $225 for three 60Qt SS pots was just too much to resist.

At at the very beginning of my electric build, although I'm going to use one as a brew pot this Saturday. These vessels will serve as the core of my system.

If I can remember tonight, I'll slap my mic on them and let you know how thick the walls are.

BrewskiBroski 01-02-2013 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyb85
did anyone ever find out any reviews on these pots?

Hey mattyb... I bought 3 80qt pots about a year ago from ebay and have done probably a dozen or so brews on them, I have an electric Herms system and I drilled them with no problems at all, just go slow and use lube (that's what my girl says too)

In any case, they are very substantial and in no way feel thin walled or flimsy... Great quality and great price.

See the pic for what they look like now.

wilserbrewer 01-03-2013 12:28 AM

That looks sweet...price performer for sure!

ianw58 01-03-2013 02:22 AM

I just mic'd my kettles.


I got:

Kettle 1 - 0.98 mm / 0.99 mm / 0.98 mm
Kettle 2 - 0.99 mm / 0.99 mm / 0.98 mm
Kettle 3 - 1.02 mm / 1.00 mm / 1.01mm

All measured near the top of the vessels.

Once I start making holes, I'll repeat and report...

mattyb85 01-03-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrewskiBroski

Hey mattyb... I bought 3 80qt pots about a year ago from ebay and have done probably a dozen or so brews on them, I have an electric Herms system and I drilled them with no problems at all, just go slow and use lube (that's what my girl says too)

In any case, they are very substantial and in no way feel thin walled or flimsy... Great quality and great price.

See the pic for what they look like now.

Awesome thanks! I'm looking to upgrade my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon SS. Glad to hear these aren't super cheaply made. At 99 from amazon I can't really argue.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.