Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > A comprehensive list of starting equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
baulz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JehovahsWitnessProtection View Post
Only buy bottles if you are diving into it and need a bunch right away. Look on Craigslist, too.
Or drink a lot while your first brew is fermenting. I bought lots of swing-top beers when getting started.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Schol-R-LEA
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts

shrug I have actually bought bottles a number of times, usually when I was short of them (I don't drink enough of the commercial beers to keep up with what I brew), but also because I like to have half of each batch in 22oz. bottles, and those aren't easy to come by. For $14 a case, the price isn't so bad, really. I have reached about homeostasis right now, where I have just about enough empty bottles of both sizes to keep up with my brewing, but sometimes things get out of sync. I suppose someday I'll set up a kegerator and some kegs and eliminate most of the need for them, but for now I generally have a about ten cases of of bottled beer around the house. Since I only end up drinking about a third of what I brew myself, I always need some additional bottles on hand, especially the 22oz. ones.
Boy Toy: You must think I'm a terrible human being...
Punchline: Don't be ridiculous. Nobody thinks you're a human being.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

$250 is way to much money being spent on stuff that is not needed.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
smarquis86
Recipes 

I got a deluxe kit that was 149.00 it came with

6 gal glass carboy
20 quart SS pot
8 gal fermenter with lid
Tap and sediment reducer spigot
S shaped airlock
Plastic siphon and tubing
Bottle filler
Fermometer glass stem thermometer and hydrometer
4 oz star San and 2 oz of pbw
Carboy brush and bottle brush
Emily wing capper
15" spoon which is plastic
So far not to bad but waiting on a wort chiller not only to make things faster but to speed up the wait.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Schol-R-LEA
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
$250 is way to much money being spent on stuff that is not needed.
Perhaps, but I was trying to anticipate need ahead of time. Of the things I listed, what would you consider unneeded, and would not come back to get later?

I did go well past what most people start off with, it's true. But I wanted to give an honest appraisal of the costs. Most of what I listed are things that novice brewers don't have to start with, and generally learn from experience that they need (or at least have a use for). When I got back into brewing, the 'deluxe kit' I got seemed fairly complete, yet I still ended up buying pretty much everything I've mentioned over the next few months. Keep in mind also that the friends in question are a) fairly well-off, and b) looking to get into all-grain fairly quickly (or at least one of them is). I gain nothing from low-balling them, and have good reason to suggest some of the more expensive options.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
BamaProud
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarquis86 View Post
waiting on a wort chiller not only to make things faster but to speed up the wait.

I made my own for about 30 bucks. The only tricky part is making sure you do not kink the copper line.
Ferm3 -Apfelwein, Ferm4 -Skeeter Pee, Ferm5 -Jawbreaker Pale Ale

Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I think I am on my fifth batch and have done a partial mash and a small all grain BIAB and still don't have half that stuff. My first batch I had two buckets, a capper, some caps, tubing, racking cane, hydrometer, and I drank A LOT of Sam Adams for a couple of weeks.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
prophet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made my own wort chiller for $28. It only has 20ft of copper (.375") but it works.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

You have bottles, caps, capper, etc. but no bottling bucket or spigot. I suppose you could use the siphon, tubing and bottling wand to bottle straight from your fermenter, but that's a pain in the butt and it will make priming a bit awkward, too.

I like the ol' bottling bucket with a spigot and a short piece of tubing to attach the wand directly to the spigot.

Most people aren't going to need a secondary fermenter, and for the stuff I personally use a secondary for (e.g. fruit additions), most of the time I use a bucket because that makes things much easier to manage than a carboy.

I have an autosiphon, but to be honest I just use a regular racking cane most of the time nowadays.

The thing that I upgraded almost immediately was my brew pot. A 5 gallon pot is NOT big enough to make 5 gallon batches unless you do a partial boil, which makes it tough to make some beers in my experience. I think the Bayou Classic 30qt kettle can be found at or around the same price as you quote for the 20qt.

I agree with the wort chiller, although that also comes with other requirements. You need a water source, a drain, sink, yard, or SOMETHING to collect all the water you run through it, and a way to connect the chiller between those two points.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
Schol-R-LEA
Recipes 

Oh, I spaced on the bottling bucket, you're right about that. Definitely ought to have included it. You're also right about the wort chiller requiring somewhere to drain it to. How did I overlook that?

And yes, I agree that the 30qt kettle is the way to go, though I haven't seen any as low as what you mention. My own was fairly inexpensive, but still was around $50 I think. If you know of a place that sells 30qt boilers for under $40, I'll definitely recommend it. If you can find one with a ball valve spigot for under $90, I'll buy one myself...

Quick Reply