Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Competition Results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
FloridaCracker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Competition Results

This past weekend was a large competition (593 entries). I entered 6 batches. Overall I didn't do amazing, average 28... Here are the results:

#- Category Style- Score- Best Quote- My Response
1- 9c- Scottish Export- 36- "Good drinking malty beer that hits many of the style guidelines"- Funny seeing how in March same batch scored 19..
2- 6a- Light Hybrid- 31- "Soft malt aroma… Moble hop aroma- good."- Thanks
3- 12a- Brown Porter- 25- "Definate Brett-like, baby diaper aroma up front!"- What?!
4- 27a- Common Cider- 27- "A subtle cardboard flavor..."- Mmmm.. Cardboard
5- 21a- Pumpkin Porter- 30- "Your porter is full of flavor & very enjoyable"- Thanks
6- 25c- Melomel- 22.5- "The aroma is exactly what is expected from description and well balanced."- Then why'd you give me a 23?!?! This took over a year!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

36 is excellent and anything 30 or better is a stamp of approval from the judges. Even the 25 and 27 are respectable but with some flaws--I interpret scores in that range as indicative of beers most people would enjoy drinking.

So one very good to excellent score, two good scores, two decent scores, and one score indicating significant flaws but certainly not poor quality. Well done!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I don't know how the judges do it. I sip one bad beer and can't drink a beer for hours without remembering that ****e beer.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
jbeukelman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Are those comments from a certified judge or a novice? Look at the top of the score sheet it should tell you. A novice can literally be anyone and their comments should be taken with a grain of salt. I know as I just judged my first comp as a novice. .

BJCP certified judges opinions should carry more weight.

-- Homebrewers do it in the garage

Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The only opinion that really matters belongs to the Grand Master VII.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
I don't know how the judges do it. I sip one bad beer and can't drink a beer for hours without remembering that ****e beer.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeukelman View Post
Are those comments from a certified judge or a novice? Look at the top of the score sheet it should tell you. A novice can literally be anyone and their comments should be taken with a grain of salt. I know as I just judged my first comp as a novice. .

BJCP certified judges opinions should carry more weight.
Ditto!

I just judged my first competition as a novice and some of the beers were undrinkable! But, those were the EASY beers to score. It was much harder to judge the difference between good, very good & excellent.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
FloridaCracker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks guys,
Most of the judges were BJCP certified, however there were a couple novices, and I think a couple first timers in there...

Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Judging is very much based on the individual judges experience and palette, as stated BJCP certified judges will provide much better input and usually more accurate scoring. The best thing to do is enter the same berr in various contests and average out the input. all in all I'd say your scores placed quite well, especially those in the 30's. Usually scores in the mid to upper 30's will place.

Your Scottish probably aged quite well and became a much better beer:

As for the flaws stated, do some research on what may cause those flavors and go back to your process to see what might have caused them, sanitizing being a big one. Cardboard is oxidation so look inot your racking process and introduction of oxygen into the finished beer. Diaper is a little odd but could be an interpretation of medicinal or band-aid like. Brett like could be a little too fruity, too much esthers/phenols that could be associated with too high a fermentation temp for the style or yeast used.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah those are pretty good all around scores! I've entered beers into 2 different competitions. I say I average in the high 20's low 30's. I captured my first medal about a month ago at the Ohio Brew Festival. My oaked aged old ale received a 42 !

Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Nice work. I recently got my results from the first competition I ever entered (Indiana State Fair Brewer's Cup competition). One of my entries, my second brew ever, an American stout that I was very proud of, did dismally. I think I got a 17 and an 18 from the two BJCP judges, with half a dozen of the terms defining the various off characteristics ticked off. I was really puzzled, I think one comment was, "This is very hard to drink." It was, in my opinion, a very good beer---maybe not great, but not hard to drink.

We had one bottle left in the fridge, so to drown sorrows over the puzzling disappointment, we opened it and tasted it. It was sour and utterly foul. Something had clearly gone wrong---oxidation or a slow infection or something. Bummer. I wonder if your "diaper" entry suffered a similar problem?

Quick Reply