Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > competition popularity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default competition popularity?

Hi, new to the forum. I've only been brewing for a few months, so this is more of a question for the future. How many of you compete? Compared to the $200-250 fees for KCBS (barbecue) competitions (they are a killer to any BBQers), homebrew competitions seem to cost $5-10 plus shipping, yet I don't see a forum devoted to the subject. Do a lot of you compete or is it more for the love of the hobby? I'd love to get into competitions soon.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I compete to get feedback on my beers. I'm looking get better and learn more about beer. I even decided to take the BJCP exam. I learned a ton about beer, brewing, and my palate during the process. I recommend it if for nothing more than to get a better understanding of your own beer.

Primary: Robust Porter
Next Up: Flander's Red

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
MistFM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I too am interested in this. I think that entering a brew that I created into a competition would be an EXCELLENT way to learn and see how my recipes contend with other people's.

Sporting Kansas City 'til I die!

American Outlaws Soccer Supporter's Group: www.theamericanoutlaws.com

Free Beer Movement: www.thefreebeermovement.com

Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Never done it, but will be in the next year. I'm looking forward to critical review of my beers. I brew well enough that I get praised by family and friends - needing some more 'critical' review to see where I'm at and what else I can do to improve. I'm also at a stage where recipe creation and fine tuning is going to be the theme and competitions will help me in that process.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I've entered many comps and judged at many more. it's a great way to get feedback on your beer. The caveat is that you shouldn't listen exclusively to any single judge or comp. Enter the same beer into several and get a good overview from more than a few judges. And be careful what category you enter the bee into. Enter it as what it tastes like, not what you brewed it to be. For example, a coffee stout should be entered as a specialty beer, not a stout.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

microbusbrewery Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I entered my first comp at the beginning of this month just to get the feedback on my beer so I know where I stand and what I can do to improve it. I'm still waiting on the scoresheets.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
gotsumbeers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just entered my first comp, for the feedback. I got a 16 one one of my beers, I entered it as a style I brewed it to be, not what it was best suited to be as Denny said. It was a wonderful beer on draught, but was undercarbonated in the bottle. It had lost much of its hop presence. At first I was slightly discouraged by the score, but it forced me to look critically at my beer. In the end I had to agree with how the judges scored it.

Still a good beer to me!

"Tastes like mom's"

Old 08-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I am thinking about entering a competition or two next year. I don't feel like most of my recipes are at a point I think they are so flawless I need outside opinions, except my lambic but I don't feel like sharing any with strangers.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

It's also important to save some of the beer to drink while you read through the scoresheets. Really helps to understand the judges comments.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3729 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsumbeers View Post
I just entered my first comp, for the feedback. I got a 16 one one of my beers, I entered it as a style I brewed it to be, not what it was best suited to be as Denny said. It was a wonderful beer on draught, but was undercarbonated in the bottle. It had lost much of its hop presence. At first I was slightly discouraged by the score, but it forced me to look critically at my beer. In the end I had to agree with how the judges scored it.
And that is what it's all about!

I entered a bunch of comps over a period of about a year. I won a bunch of ribbons, including some golds. It was very motivating. Then I quit entering them, just basically got busy. Gotta get back into it.

The hardest part for me is the packaging and shipping. Clubs almost always have a competition coordinator who will help out a lot there. I stopped going to my club and that was a mistake.

Quick Reply