Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > competition; are my brews "specialty beer"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default competition; are my brews "specialty beer"?

Hey all!

I made a Russian Imperial Stout with 12oz of molasses, and a Stout with cocoa powder and smoked chipotle peppers. So other than the odd additions their styles are easy to tell.

Would I put these under the Russ. Imp. Stout and American Stout, or do they both need to go with Specialty Beers? I figure the chocolate pepper one is, but as for the one with molasses, I am uncertain.

From BJCP, it states for category 23 Specialty Beers:

"Unusual fermentables (e.g., maple syrup, honey, molasses, sorghum)"

If I only had 12oz in a 18lb grain bill, does that count as a large enough amount of fermentables? or does it only count if molasses is the main fermentable?

Thanks for any thoughts, entering my first competition so wanting to make sure I do this right!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Molasses, cocoa powder, and peppers aren't really desirable flavors in any of the beer styles when referring to BJCP judging standards.

These additions can make for great beers, but they aren't true to style, which is the entire point of the BJCP sanctioned contests. They're trying to see how authentic to the style you can make a beer, not how creative you can be.

I'm sure you'll have two great beers, but they'll be specialty beers, because in their stock categories you're gonna get docked major points for "off" flavors of molasses, cocoa, and peppers :P

Old 05-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Hehe, figured that for at least the chili chocolate!

As for the molasses I figured it would toss it in there. You helped clarify it, even if it is a great brew if it is not the classic style flavors then it is trouble.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 38

The chili pepper beer should go in Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer, Cat. 21A

Does the RIS taste a lot like molasses? If not, just enter it as a straight up RIS. If the molasses flavor is heavy, then you may consider entering as a Cat. 23 Specialty.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Ah, that does make sense. First time having to define styles, and of the brews I am entering these were the ones I was getting a bit lost on. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
Ah, that does make sense. First time having to define styles, and of the brews I am entering these were the ones I was getting a bit lost on. Thanks for the clarification!
That's half the battle, good luck!

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Quick Reply