Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Competion category question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
adam62cb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Competion category question

I am entering an upcoming BJCP Home Brew competition. This is my first competition so I would like to enter a bunch of stuff that I have on tap right now.

What category would be appropriate for a Berliner Weiss, which I blended raspberry puree into the secondary? I am not sure if it goes into the 17A Berliner Weiss, 20 Fruit Beer, or 23 specialty category.

Is there any reason you shouldn't enter the same beer into more than category? For example. I also have a Hoppy Brown Ale. It is very dark but not too roasty or coffee like, it has some oats and lots of cascade hops added late. I plan to enter it into 10 C american brown, but I could squeeze it into 12A brown porter. Neither is a perfect fit so I was thinking about entering it into both. Any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 41

1. Definitely 20A Fruit Beer.

2. If it is not a good fit in either category, then you should reconsider whether to enter it all. Beers in BJCP competitions are supposed to evaluated for style. If the beer doesn't fit the style then you can't expect to score well. IF you are simply looking for feedback, then enter it in American Brown or 23, specialty and explain why it belongs there (lots of hops, unusual ingredients). I can't ever see cascade hops being appropriate in a brown porter and likely if you added "lots" of late addition cascade, they are probably quite evident in the aroma and would be considered a flaw. At least in 10C it wouldn't seem grossly out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 284 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 23

For the first beer, if it tastes sour and has a noticeable raspberry flavor you won't do well in 17A or 20 and it would have to go in 23. For the second, it depends on the competition, some don't allow you to enter the same beer in multiple categories, others do. If it's allowed you may as well give it a shot and see what notes you get back.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
1. Definitely 20A Fruit Beer.

2. If it is not a good fit in either category, then you should reconsider whether to enter it all. Beers in BJCP competitions are supposed to evaluated for style. If the beer doesn't fit the style then you can't expect to score well. IF you are simply looking for feedback, then enter it in American Brown or 23, specialty and explain why it belongs there (lots of hops, unusual ingredients). I can't ever see cascade hops being appropriate in a brown porter and likely if you added "lots" of late addition cascade, they are probably quite evident in the aroma and would be considered a flaw. At least in 10C it wouldn't seem grossly out of place.
Yeah, I missed the part about a lot of cascade hops, that definitely would be out of style for brown porter.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
adam62cb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey, I misspoke above, they are not cascade hops, instead they are willamette late hops.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Review the descriptions for each category and decide if the way it tastes fits into the category. Regardless of what ingredients went into it, it really depends on what it tastes like. Though, your description of it being hoppy in the first post would kind of make it unsuitable for brown porter.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Remember that competitions are all about style so you need to evaluate the style and determine how your beer stands up

If your gravitates exceed, IBus, color and flavor profile don't match you get dinged.

Specialty #23 is somewhat of a catch all for beers that don't really fit. One thing to keep in mind is this category can have a wide variety of beers that all have to stand up against each other and they can be completely different off styles

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply