Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > commercial vs. homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
dukes7779
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default commercial vs. homebrew

So I have seen a few commercial brewery tours on YouTube and it seems like their fermentation and carbonation times are a lot shorter than what we use as homebrewers. Any thoughts or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Homebrewers can do it to, they just don't have to. I've served good in as little at 10 days, 14 out of a bottle. It could be dangerous for noobs but when you know what your doing it's not difficult.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes7779 View Post
So I have seen a few commercial brewery tours on YouTube and it seems like their fermentation and carbonation times are a lot shorter than what we use as homebrewers. Any thoughts or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks.
One reason commercial fermentation times are shorter is because those brewers are not under-pitching yeast as many homebrewers are. Carbonation is also done with slightly more sophisticated equipment than the typical homebrewer has.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Definitely what BigEd says - one thing I was told when touring one local brewery is that they actually carbonate the beer while fermenting, which also cuts down on times. Since they're not underpitching and they're not treating carbonation as a separate step that takes place after fermentation, they're able to get their product ready a whole lot more quickly than most of us do.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I think pitch rates are a small part of it. It's maintaining a healthy culture start to finish. It limits off flavors homebrewers age out.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
One reason commercial fermentation times are shorter is because those brewers are not under-pitching yeast as many homebrewers are. Carbonation is also done with slightly more sophisticated equipment than the typical homebrewer has.
This.

If you tour Stone, they will tell you their pale ale is in the bottle 4 days after brewing. They pitch the right amount of yeast and ferment in the mid-70s.
Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
dukes7779
Recipes 

is there such a thing as OVER pitching yeast? so they are force carbing with CO2?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Commercial brewers have their process down so they can produce a consistent product as quick as possible. The more time it takes, the more it costs them.

While I am sure they care about the taste of their product going out the door, they are driven by costs, and the quicker you can produce the product, the less inventory you have to keep, and the less equipment you have to have. I'll bet, even JP keep looking for ways to reduce their turn times ... and they have a long process.

It's all about profit.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes7779
is there such a thing as OVER pitching yeast? so they are force carbing with CO2?
Oh yeah. Over pitching can be worse. Under pitching can be desirable. With weizen for example.

One of the keys to a quick turn around seems to be cold crashing. It can take weeks for the yeast to drop at fermentation temp. Cold crashing does the same thing in a day or two.

I have seen some even dry hop for only 2 days. You may need more hops but time is money. Especially with IPA I think the sooner you drink the better.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
skyebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't forget filtering. Strip all still in suspension and get a cleaner beer without waiting for it to drop on a its own.

Quick Reply