Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Commercial Barley Wine - properly aged?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout
So I wanted to try something different and the 2013 release of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot caught my eye. Now, Ive never had a barley wine before so I want to make sure I get this beer at its peak. I do know that often times barley wines are aged for many months and read of fellow home brewers who have aged them for over a year before they are at their peak.

My question is, do you think SN ages this brew for a sufficient length of time before releasing it for sale or do you think I would be best served to let this sit in a nice cool, dark place and sample it in a few months?
A friend brought this in to a SN beer dinner this past September. It was about 5 years old at that point and was by far one of the most amazing beers I've ever had. I highly suggest you save some to age and don't crack into it for at least 3 years. I give the same recommendation for the DFH 120. These two beers evolve into something truly extraordinary when you lay the bottles down for a few years.

image-1568053375.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I've got JW Lee's Harvest Ale from many years. The sweet spot seems to be 6-8 years of age. Picked them up at Beers of the World at various times too, on the way back to philly after visiting family.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
A friend brought this in to a SN beer dinner this past September. It was about 5 years old at that point and was by far one of the most amazing beers I've ever had. I highly suggest you save some to age and don't crack into it for at least 3 years. I give the same recommendation for the DFH 120. These two beers evolve into something truly extraordinary when you lay the bottles down for a few years.
Interesting, I had no idea that aging it for that long would be appropiate. I may have to go get a few more bottles for proper cellering.

BTW, Key West is pretty much my favorite place in the country. I've been saying for years that if my life falls apart Im going to steal a bike and peddle south until I get to the Green Parrot.
Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I had a Big Foot at a beer tasting bar mid last year that was from 2009. It was great. Still hoppy but everything had balanced out a bit more. I know some people who have had barleywines aging for a decade or more.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:

Interesting, I had no idea that aging it for that long would be appropiate. I may have to go get a few more bottles for proper cellering.

BTW, Key West is pretty much my favorite place in the country. I've been saying for years that if my life falls apart Im going to steal a bike and peddle south until I get to the Green Parrot.
I would definitely grab another case or two specifically for long term aging.
Im a born and raised Conch. Glad you love the island, give me a shout next time your down here. The Green Parrot is one of my favorite spots on the weekends, The Heavy Pets were just in town and kicked ass as usual. There's a place down here that sells shirts that say "Sell everything, keep the dog, live on an island". Sounds right up your alley lol.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #16
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Im just getting around to this beer now. I like it. Its not as bold as I would have guessed. I say its hop forward but still in balance. The malt side is reminiscent of a Dead Guy Ale. I can see how it would aged well though, there is noticable roughness on the back end that I bet clears up with time.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Im just getting around to this beer now. I like it. Its not as bold as I would have guessed. I say its hop forward but still in balance. The malt side is reminiscent of a Dead Guy Ale. I can see how it would aged well though, there is noticable roughness on the back end that I bet clears up with time.
They really smooth out a lot and pick up a lot of nuances like sherry and raisin notes.

EAC - 5/2/14

Quick Reply