A comedy of errors.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatman_Brew

Reaction score
Brewday was Saturday, overshot my recipe due to me fighting low efficiency..

1:Combination of better mash control and using my own mill, I hit north of 80%.

Was expecting 1.060 SG, but that was my pre-boil gravity. My English Bitter became an English IPA/Extra Strong Bitter. SG was 1.075, no problem.

2:Knew I might need to ramp up my starter. Went and checked on it.....WTF!!??
Gravity barely moved after 30hrs. Not liking the looks of this.

3: I ferment in Sanke 1/4 barrels (6 gallon batches ferment under pressure), chilled wort, filled sanke, placed spear into keg and turn and keep loose, place plastic keg cap on top.

4: Revisit starter. I think its dead Jim!!! >Bones, my name is Steve<

Saturday evening, all LHBS within a 45minute drive one way are closed until Tuesday.

5: Me saying to myself "Hey, I've done this overnight before to get to pitching temps, no problem, what is an extra two days".

6: Get home from work and LHBS today, go down stairs and my keg is foaming away, blowing past the spear and cap.

7: Me..."Hmmmm..I guess I was sloppy on sanitizing the serving keg used as a fermenter this time." It was rinsed, filled half way with Star-san (couple weeks old), shake like it owes me money. Spray spear from spray bottle. How can an impatient rookie like me mess this up?

8: Decide not to use the Dry yeast I just bought (needed short lag time I thought). RDWHAHB and see what combo of previous yeast that could have been left behind in keg and wild animals are eating my wort.

I'll give it a couple days and see if it ferments out. Sample it, and see what I get. Doesn't seem right to seal the keg now and attach pressure valve.

Gravity was 1.050 last night. Hydrated and pitched Notty to clean up. Not sure I like the sample, but heck, I never had a sour or under fermented EPA to know the difference.

Next time instead of using starsan to sanitize the keg put some water in it and throw it on your burner.

Latest posts

Back