Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Colorado Beer Law

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
KevinW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientZero View Post
From what I understand, distribution laws in CO are incredibly lenient as compared to most other states. Someone wants this changed, so it will strictly follow the miserable 3 tier system. Microbreweries aren't happy about this. To me, it seems that smaller microbreweries in CO would disappear overnight if they had to compete with getting onto a A-B, Coors, or Miller truck. I'm sure larger ones could stick it out, but the up-and-comers probably couldn't, and new breweries probably wouldn't show up as often...
Wow, what a mess!
Who is the idiot that created the 3 tier system in the first place since it only really serves the big corpora--, oops, never mind

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The following is a link is for the CO General assembly. click on "search for a bill" and then enter the term "beer" in the next page.

The result lists the only four bills currently under review by the CO general assembly that contain the word "beer." As far as I can tell, these are the only bills that, if passed, would regulate beer in any way that are currently being considered by the CO general assembly (State Legislature).

You'll notice that HB10-1186 involves the issue of what types of alcohol convenience stores can sell. I don't see anything about distribution bills being considered. Hope this helps.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/MainBills?openFrameset

Kegged: Empty :-(

Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
PatientZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayBrewing View Post
The following is a link is for the CO General assembly. click on "search for a bill" and then enter the term "beer" in the next page.

The result lists the only four bills currently under review by the CO general assembly that contain the word "beer." As far as I can tell, these are the only bills that, if passed, would regulate beer in any way that are currently being considered by the CO general assembly (State Legislature).

You'll notice that HB10-1186 involves the issue of what types of alcohol convenience stores can sell. I don't see anything about distribution bills being considered. Hope this helps.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/MainBills?openFrameset
HAH! Precisely what I was looking for.

Apparently most people missed what I meant to get across in this post. I honestly don't care who is allowed to sell what. I just heard that distribution in CO would also change. So, no, New Belgium would most likely NOT be on the 7-11 shelf. If they can't distribute directly like all breweries in CO currently do, then they have to compete with all other microbreweries nationwide for 12.5% truck space on an A-B, Coors, or Miller truck and therefore making the BIG THREE slightly richer and competing against their fellow small breweries. They shouldn't NEED to compete with each other because that's not where the competition lies. They shouldn't EVER be placed on a BIG THREE truck in CO because it just isn't necessary.
Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, firecrackers, ya stick 'em in mailboxes, you drop 'em in toilets, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses.

Just is.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bye the way, I think I am going to go checkout some of those CO state fairs. That bill that would allow you to carry your beer anywhere in the fair ground sounds great. Out here, when I go to a fair you have to stay in the "beer garden." The beer garden is actually a cattle stable that is converted. It gets really packed in there so they aren't kidding when they say they pack them in like cattle.

Kegged: Empty :-(

Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey Back Bay, there is only one state fair and it's in Pueblo...possibly the only part of the state that I would warn people to stay away from!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #16
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

I know many CO micro breweries were lobbying with the liquor stores against this bill, but I never could get a straight answer why. Convenience stores have ALWAYS been closed to micro sales because they don't produce the 3.2 beer. Only makes sense to me that this bill works in favor of the micros as convenience stores will actually be able to carry their products - and they very much want to - the margins are higher.

The one weak argument I heard was that beer is 50% of a liquor store's sales and convenience stores will obviously pull some of that business away. I heard a claim of up to 300 marginal liquor stores could close because of the inability to compete - perhaps micro breweries are worried about loosing these sales.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I believe the reason the microbreweries have lobbied with the liquor stores against this law is the fear that, if liquor stores do loose a lot of their beer sales that the amount of different varieties of beer the offer will suffer due to having to maximize their profits in this area.

I appreciate the huge amount of micro brews that are available at some of the larger liquor stores and I would hate to have less of a choice if that would really be the case.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
I believe the reason the microbreweries have lobbied with the liquor stores against this law is the fear that, if liquor stores do loose a lot of their beer sales that the amount of different varieties of beer the offer will suffer due to having to maximize their profits in this area.

I appreciate the huge amount of micro brews that are available at some of the larger liquor stores and I would hate to have less of a choice if that would really be the case.
The future buying patterns under this law are hard to predict, but I have a hard time agreeing with this one. The shift, if any, of beers sales to convenience stores would be largely BMC. Yes, that's probably a major portion of present-day liquor store sales, but they can turn this into an opportunity by reducing their BMC shelf space and carrying even more craft beers. Craft beers that have higher margins than BMC too.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
The future buying patterns under this law are hard to predict
1) I think we can all agree with this.
2) I think we can all agree that current CO laws have allowed micros to flourish.

So, why change the rules? There is not much to gain. A lot could be lost.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWHAHB View Post
1) I think we can all agree with this.
2) I think we can all agree that current CO laws have allowed micros to flourish.

So, why change the rules? There is not much to gain. A lot could be lost.
No, we can't. What precisely is the "lot" that could be lost? To me, it looks like a lot could be gained by micros. Instant access to hundreds, if not thousands of retail locations that WANT to carry their product.

Quick Reply