Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cold-crashing wort -- any issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
rhamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cold-crashing wort -- any issues?

Long time no post.... I tried 'The Google' but it didn't give me any info.

I brewed a pilsner on Monday but when it came time to pitch, my starter smelled off so I tossed it and started over. So the wort has been sitting @ 33°F since brewing (~36 hours) and I plan to pitch the new starter when I get home. So basically the wort has cold-crashed and there is a 3-4 inch layer of trub at the bottom and I need a little extra headspace -- so is there any downside to racking the wort off the trub before pitching?

Thanks in advance.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Shouldnt really be any issues, as long as everything is sanitary. Having the wort at 33 degrees has helped keep any nasties from taking over for the past couple days.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Obviously, this isn't an ideal situation but so long as you're hear I don't see why you couldn't rack it. Not sure how necessary it is and it does increase risk but it could be done.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As kpr121 said, as long as you previously had a sanitary transfer, you should be good. The process of transferring a 2nd time might actually help with oxygenating the wort.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea that's what I was thinking. I was just worried the heavier/more complex sugars would have dropped out also and lower the FG. But apparently I'm just paranoid

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
Yea that's what I was thinking. I was just worried the heavier/more complex sugars would have dropped out also and lower the FG. But apparently I'm just paranoid
Sugar is soluble in water (at 2000 g/L at 25 °C). In other words, the sugar (the solute) has dissolved in the water (the solvent) to form a solution, so you should not worry about it "dropping out."

Quick Reply