The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cold crash before dry hop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
TheGreatReverend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For those of you who hop in the keg, do you use pellet or whole? How do you get the hops back out so they don't get stuck in the line?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #12
silverhammer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Well, if the yeast are done working, and aren't actively fermenting (meaning no more CO2 production), then it shouldn't affect the dry hop at all. The reason we don't put dry hops in while there are still active yeast around is because the offgassing of CO2 can carry away those nice hop aromatics we're trying to get in there via dry hop.

Also, if you DO do this, you should warm the keg back up after your cold crash, as extraction will be much much much slower at cold crash temperatures. Personally, I dry hop right in the primary, and love the results.
But with the yeast i'm using, (1056) there tends to be a lot left in suspension after the beer is done fermenting, so by flocking it out of the beer before dry hopping there would be more surface area of actual beer for the hops to be in contact with and thus more aroma extraction. Hop oils are carried away by yeast. And yeah I definitely prefer extraction at a higher temp so I will warm it back up after the cold crash.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
I read an article, I believe with the brewers at Stone, where they mentioned that the yeast themselves absorb aroma, so until the yeast flock out you will get less out of dry hopping.

I will look for the article when not on my phone.
here you go...

People Like This 
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatReverend View Post
For those of you who hop in the keg, do you use pellet or whole? How do you get the hops back out so they don't get stuck in the line?

I use either or both, depending what's at hand. I usually use a muslin hop sack weighed down with sanitized shot glass. Just put the hops in the sack, tie the sack in a knot at the top (leave enough room for the hops to swell), tie a length of dental floss to the knot and secure the other end of the floss to the handle of the keg.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
TheGreatReverend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I use either or both, depending what's at hand. I usually use a muslin hop sack weighed down with sanitized shot glass. Just put the hops in the sack, tie the sack in a knot at the top (leave enough room for the hops to swell), tie a length of dental floss to the knot and secure the other end of the floss to the handle of the keg.
The pellet flakes don't escape the muslin bag? Wow, cool! I have a keg and I need to empty my secondary soon, so that should be awesome!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
here you go...

Now if Stone would make a beer with good hop aromatics we could take their advice seriously.

But on a more serious note, thanks for sharing that. It does seem that various brewers that make solid hoppy beers follow competing schools of thought. Vinnie at Russian River dry-hops cold, as does Pat at Alpine; Matt at Firestone Walker dry-hops warm, and the guys at Avery dry-hop their low gravity hoppy beers warm (about 90% of the way through fermentation), and their high gravity hoppy beers cold.

All of these brewers make world class aromatic hoppy beers. I'd say out of all of them, Pat at Alpine makes the most aromatic hoppy beers on the planet. You can smell the beer coming from across the room. However, he's also very tight-lipped about his recipes and process (that has been my experience anyway). Maybe someone else on here would have more feedback they have received from him directly. I've heard from one other person that he recommends dry-hopping cold for several weeks, but I can't verify that information because it was from a random guy on the interwebs.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
RiffMagnum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When dry hopping with pellets in the primary, do you simply toss them in or is there some sort of prep needed?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffMagnum
When dry hopping with pellets in the primary, do you simply toss them in or is there some sort of prep needed?
Just throw them in. I either cold crash or use gelatin to clarify before bottling, but I also use a couple gallon size mesh bags to catch any remaining particles. Works like a charm.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
RiffMagnum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
Just throw them in. I either cold crash or use gelatin to clarify before bottling, but I also use a couple gallon size mesh bags to catch any remaining particles. Works like a charm.
You mean you cover your siphon with the bags when racking from ferm to bottling bucket? Not sure i understand what you mean.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffMagnum

You mean you cover your siphon with the bags when racking from ferm to bottling bucket? Not sure i understand what you mean.
Yes, I sanitize a couple of the mesh bags and have the beer run through them (put them over the tip of the tube that goes to the bottling bucket, not the siphon end in the carboy, though you can do that as well) on the way to the bottling bucket.

Quick Reply