Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cold Crash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Mateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cold Crash

I am planning on cold crashing my Kolsch this week and was worried about suck-up from the air lock.

What do you all do to prevent this?

m.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Shepherd5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have questions regarding this. I assume you are pitching your yeast first. Down to what temperature do you cold crash in this situation? And, At what temperature will you ferment it?

Can you just cover the end with a cloth or something like that until it reaches your target cold crash temperature, then apply the air-lock? I would think that the risk of contamination would be minimal.

Forgive my questions, but I am very new to this.

Last edited by Shepherd5; 04-19-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I find I only have a problem with 3-piece airlocks. the S-shape slightly under-filled with sarstan/vodka (just incase in goes in) never cause me a problem.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd5 View Post
I have questions regarding this. I assume you are pitching your yeast first. Down to what temperature do you cold crash in this situation? And, At what temperature will you ferment it?

Can you just cover the end with a cloth or something like that until it reaches your target cold crash temperature, then apply the air-lock? I would think that the risk of contamination would be minimal.

Forgive my questions, but I am very new to this.
First - only cold crash after all fermentation and conditioning are complete...this has nothing to do w/ fermenting. I would keep an airlock on because since the fermentation is over your co2 blanket that protects the beer is susceptible to o2...

Now...I cold crash to kegging temp (38-40F) for 24hrs then add gelatin then wait 48hrs then keg.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Last edited by goose1873; 04-19-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Shepherd5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cold crash in my keg which is purged with co2, then no airlock issues. Are you going to bottle this batch, and if so, is it a good practice to cold crash before bottling?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Mateo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am in the process of cold crashing now. I just got my Johnson Controls installed and have dropped the temp. Nothing crazy since its only a fridge and not a freezer. I now see why a freeze is a good deal for brewing. Fridges just don't get that cold.

The beer did not draw up all that much.

I am going to bottle this batch. Probably earlier than I would like to wait, but I am itching to get this into the bottle. I am trying to get as much of the yeast out of suspension as possible.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I just cold crashed two beers too down to the mid 30s. Using the S shaped airlocks, no problem. If you don't have enough liquid to blow out of there during ferment, you won't have enough liquid to spill into the fermenter. At least that's my experience.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My preferred method for cold conditioning, cold crashing, lagering or whatever is to rack to a secondary carboy. I then use a carboy cap without an airlock or blow off. I simply leave the small caps on the carboy cap. A minor vacuum will form when the beer cools, but I figure, "so what?". Previously I would use the "S" type air locks filled with Star San. They worked OK and at least no water or sanitizer got sucked back into the beer, but some air would get in. It finally dawned on me to just seal the carboy completely with the cap and ignore the vacuum. Duh...I'm slow sometimes.

Regarding ideal temperatures, IMO colder is better all the way down to the freezing point. I often take my beers down to where ice will form on the surface. At that point I usually keep it there or back off just slightly until the ice dissipates. I sometimes take them down to as low as 26F for extended lagering/conditioning. Brrrrrr...

Last edited by Catt22; 04-20-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
My preferred method for cold conditioning, cold crashing, lagering or whatever is to rack to a secondary carboy. I then use a carboy cap without an airlock or blow off. I simply leave the small caps on the carboy cap. A minor vacuum will form when the beer cools, but I figure, "so what?".
Good thinking--I can just put a solid stopper in my carboy next time I cold crash (have two beers crashing right now). Only 8:30 and I already learned my "something" for the day!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply