Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cold Break

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
matalec1984
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'll be honest my beers have always been very clear so that hasn't been my concern with cold breaks, and while I haven't tasted anything to concern me with off-flavors due to poor breaks I figure getting a better hold on my hot and cold break could never hurt!

Bottled:ESB, Rye Dog Pale Ale V.1, All the Kings Horses Pilsner v.1, Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Daywalker Red Ale v.1,Hazelnut Spiced Porter, 2009 Red Meritage, 2011 Dry Mead, 2009 New England Cyser, 2009 South African Shiraz, 2009 Chilean Chardonnay, 2011 Dry Johannisburg Riesling
Primary: Vanilla Milk stout v.2 and v.3, Chocolate Raspberry Port
Secondary:Italian Barolo, Cran-Blackberry Melomel, Peach Icewine
On Deck:Isla's Boon Strawberry Blonde v.1, Caramel Apple Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
Rubes
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I brewed my second all-grain BIAB today (Warsteiner clone from BYO book) and am still confused about cold break. I added Whirlfloc with 15 minutes left in the boil, and when the boil was done I put the pot in a snowbank and had it down to 65 degrees in 15-20 minutes. When racking to the fermentor there was sludge and stuff in the bottom of the kettle and what looked like millions of tiny things floating in the wort. Is this the cold break? I had my hops in paint strainer bags so I don't think the sludge was from them..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Diesel30
Recipes 

The hops can still escape from the paint strainer bag. So the sludge could be a mix of hops, cold break, hot break, and even some grain from your mash. The hops are easy to notice because they are still green no matter what color the wort is.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
Stevesauer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm gonna breathe new life into this thread here with a question. What are you to do when using adjuncts like peels, zest, or fruit? I typically add zests with 5 minutes left in the boil and fruits shortly after I begin chilling the wort. Obviously, siphoning is out as I want whatever adjunct I am using to make it into the primary. If I wish to siphon, do I need to find a different way to pasteurize and Introduce my fruits/ zest? Or, is there always going to be clarity issues in beers utilizing these? I am not experiencing bad chill haze now, but I'm always striving for more clarity. Thoughts? Thanks!

Quick Reply