Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cola Brew (No Actual Cola Involved)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
zgardener
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cola Brew (No Actual Cola Involved)

So I was drinking a pint of an experimental recipe I came up with for a stout and as I was contemplating the flavors, I realized that the flavor was almost like a cola, and with a few tweaks on with the spices, could be damn close.

I was wondering if anyone has ever concocted a brew like this (on purpose or accident), or what some people thought of it as a concept.

I dont intend on making this a regular brew, but who knows, maybe I can make a beer that could fool some people, or entice those that swear against beer to give my homebrew a shot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

........................I think the color tricks the eye, but only for a homebrewer. I too have thought "this stout is the coke of beers!" which only really means that it is quaffable and refreshing as a coke is to a kid.

Your guests, urged to try this "coke" beer would spit it out.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
zgardener
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Many of my friends enjoyed it, but I put way too much cinnamon in it, which kinda gives it that kick. The chocolate notes in the stout can definitely give some of the flavor qualities of a cola as do darker crystal malts.

I think it's possible. I've had this on tap for a few weeks now, but just got around to actually sitting down and really got down to breaking down the flavor profile of the beer.

If one was to set out to create a Coke flavored beer, I would be tempted to say that it is possible with some tweaks. I'm just not sure if i'd want to take the time/money to develop such a novelty. Maybe i'll do some 1 gallon batches and play around with it.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Xingu black beer reminds me of cola.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I just read a news article this week about the Coke recipe being "discovered." The article says this...

Quote:
The rediscovered recipe includes extract of coca leaves, caffeine, plenty of sugar (it specifies 30 unidentified units thought to be pounds), lime juice, vanilla and caramel. Into that syrup, the all-important 7x flavourings are added: alcohol and six oils – orange, lemon, nutmeg, coriander, neroli and cinnamon.
So, if you're going for a cola brew, might consider tweaking with these ingredients in mind.

And what is "neroli"?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
zgardener
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Neroli is an essential oil from the bitter orange tree blossom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neroli

Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

once in a while i'll come across a dark brew that isn't particularly strong or distinguishable and i'll have to dump it, because the effect is too close to coke for me...beer that mimics soda is repulsive, imo

I brew a lot.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgardener View Post
Many of my friends enjoyed it, but I put way too much cinnamon in it, which kinda gives it that kick. The chocolate notes in the stout can definitely give some of the flavor qualities of a cola as do darker crystal malts.

I think it's possible. I've had this on tap for a few weeks now, but just got around to actually sitting down and really got down to breaking down the flavor profile of the beer.

If one was to set out to create a Coke flavored beer, I would be tempted to say that it is possible with some tweaks. I'm just not sure if i'd want to take the time/money to develop such a novelty. Maybe i'll do some 1 gallon batches and play around with it.
\
The major flavor in Coke and other colas is citrus, Bergamot/Neroli in Coke, along with vanilla, brown spices and cardamon. Lime zest, vanilla and a light touch of spices might get you something reminiscent of cola.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #9
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tried posting this the other day but no one seemed to get my idea, some thought I literally wanted to use cola in beer!

I'm thinking at boil out, based on old recipes for Coca Cola as well as "OpenCola" that I've found:

(Listed in parts, proportions can be figured out according to ratio)
Orange Zest (4)
Lemon Zest (6)
Nutmeg (2)
Coriander (1)
Cinnamon (2)
Lavender (1)
Neroli Oil (?? 1-2 drops)
Vanilla (?? drops)

I think it would be a delicate balance using that many spices so it would probably be best to create a tea of sorts ahead of time and throw them in a pint of a previous brew to see how they turn out. Also would need a nice neutral beer style to balance the spices, with little hop flavor.

Quick Reply