Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Coke 20 lb CO2 Tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
tuxnerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Coke 20 lb CO2 Tank

So yesterday on craigslist I found a guy selling full 20lb CO2 tanks for $50 and an extra 25 for a regulator, with that price I couldn't help but going out there and picking one up , I didn't pay much attention to the bottle until I got home to clean the thing up (it'd been sitting around for a while and was dirty as all else).

When I cleaned it up I noticed its got a Coke sticker on it and is the classic red and silver coca-cola paint job, which had previously been covered in grime and I hadn't noticed.

Now I know some people here have a big ethical problem with this kind of thing, but I am just really worried about whether or not I can get this thing filled or if my best bet is to just turn it in for the deposit (and if they'd accept it and where to do that)

Also the guy still has a couple other full tanks for $50 and 2 empties for cheaper if anyone wants them in the el paso area, PM me.

Thanks for the tips guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

get a razor scraper and some goo gone, take off the sticker. spray paint the tank a lovely pink. no one will suspect a thing.

buy at least one extra full tank, it could take you years to go through a full 20 pound tank - then you have a spare.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 12-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
redm18
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Your probably going to need to use some JB or Bondo to erase all coke markings from it because I'm sure it's stamped somewhere. The good news is that lots of places that do exchanges will take your Coke tank even if it's full of coke stickers and is painted red.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
resQman4
Recipes 

Do you know if restaurants buy these tanks from Coke or Pepsi? Or if they just rent them? I ask because we were doing a training at a restaurant that was being torn down the next day and the contractor said everything that was left would go to the dump after being torn down so we should take anything we wanted that was left. I got two 20 pound CO2 tanks and a Wunderbar dispenser. I do not want these things if they are still property of these places.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxnerd
So yesterday on craigslist I found a guy selling full 20lb CO2 tanks for $50 and an extra 25 for a regulator, with that price I couldn't help but going out there and picking one up , I didn't pay much attention to the bottle until I got home to clean the thing up (it'd been sitting around for a while and was dirty as all else).

When I cleaned it up I noticed its got a Coke sticker on it and is the classic red and silver coca-cola paint job, which had previously been covered in grime and I hadn't noticed.

Now I know some people here have a big ethical problem with this kind of thing, but I am just really worried about whether or not I can get this thing filled or if my best bet is to just turn it in for the deposit (and if they'd accept it and where to do that)

Also the guy still has a couple other full tanks for $50 and 2 empties for cheaper if anyone wants them in the el paso area, PM me.

Thanks for the tips guys
If it is old, it will need to be hydro tested. Some places will just swap them out with you. I don't think anyone is going to come after you. It's kind of like jaywalking. I would personally keep the tank for nostalgia. Dont paint it.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
tuxnerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They hydro date is good for another year, but yeah it is stamped with CCBC, after some googling and searching the forums I saw that its for coca cola bottling company. Go figure, I've got a 5lb tank that works great, I am just make another kegerator.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think of trying to JB weld the thing and stuff like that, I'll have to find a place here in El Paso who will fill 20lb tanks eventually, the paintball shop I have been using for my little 5lb won't do larger than 5lbs. There are a few welding shops near by where I will have to try to either exchange or get it filled

Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I doubt you'll have any trouble.. Just swap it out when it needs filled. Most places have these tanks in their rotation.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have some corny kegs that have Coca Cola stamped on them. Does that mean they belong to Coca Cola? I think not. Just because someone puts their name on something doesn't mean they own it forever.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I get a Coke one filled all the time. In fact, I get Pepsi ones filled as well. I have 3 each Pepsi 20 pounders and 1 each Coke. No issues.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 12-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Both of my 20# tanks I own were originally owned by Coke. I've had them hydro and filled with no problems. I'm not even sure Coke "lends" tanks anymore. Mine were pretty old when I got them. No worries.

Quick Reply