Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Coffee Porter....Can you help me with the numbers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
jcbogantes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Coffee Porter....Can you help me with the numbers?

I'm fermenting a 3G experimental batch of coffee Porter. I understand that cold brewed coffee is the way to go (added to secondary or bottling time). I'm a coffee lover but I don't want my porter to be overwhelmed by coffee flavor, I'm looking for a good balance of smooth java flavor.

I was thinking 2 cups of water + 4oz of dark roast coffee so I will end up with 1 cup of cold coffee to add to the 3G batch.
What do you think? Is it correct or not?

Thank you in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
hophop
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbogantes
I'm fermenting a 3G experimental batch of coffee Porter. I understand that cold brewed coffee is the way to go (added to secondary or bottling time). I'm a coffee lover but I don't want my porter to be overwhelmed by coffee flavor, I'm looking for a good balance of smooth java flavor.

I was thinking 2 cups of water + 4oz of dark roast coffee so I will end up with 1 cup of cold coffee to add to the 3G batch.

Thank you in advance
You should taste it. I did a 2.5 gallon batch and added about 2 cups at bottling. Nice coffee flavor. Flavor was definitely there but not overwhelming. Probably depends on the coffee too. I cold brewed some Starbucks for 4 days.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I just finished a coffee porter - 9 oz. of coffee (course ground) and 6 oz. of cacao - sat in a 200 micron bag in the keg for a week at 40F. The coffee and cacao flavor are very prominent.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 29

In 5 gallons of Porter, I cold brewed 4 oz of dark roast into 3 cups of water, and when I added it, I didn't think it was enough. I then added a rinse of the grounds by shaking and added into the bottling bucket. I thought it was just right. Three weeks later it tasted like coffee. Only coffee. Way out of bounds coffee. Like add ice and cream to make iced coffee, coffee. It completely ruined my taste for any kind of dark beer that has a coffee aroma or flavor. I guess my point is, a lot of flavor additions increase when conditioning, and for me, it was too much.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
jcbogantes
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Well then I think to be sure I'm going to cold brew 2oz of coffee in 2 cups of water then add that to a secondary and see what happens.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
peroua15
Recipes 

Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbogantes View Post

Thank you in advance
these numbers and methods look perfect to me. right where you want it. it will be good

Quick Reply