Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Coffee in Beer, What to do? And not do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
winstonofbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Coffee in Beer, What to do? And not do?

I have decided to make a Porter on Friday.
Recipe is basically 2row, munich, choc malt,c-40 and some wheat.

I thought if i could hi-light the chocolate malt a bit and have a noticeable hint of a mocha or chocolate roast coffee it would work really well together.

I have read a little bit on using coffee in beer.
From what i have gotten from it, You always grind it... And there is 3 ways of using it. Boil, Cold Steep, Secondary.

So what are the pro's and con's on these?
What is your personal favorite way to use the coffee?
How much to use? 1oz or 1lb?
If grinding how fine do you set the grinder?
Any other advise would be awesome too

Another problem i am wondering about is hops.
I orginally thought about amarriilo and Tet. But i dont want the hops to overpower the coffee taste.
Does adding coffee to it change the amount of hops you need?

Thanks again for all your help.
I cant wait to make this beer. Its been over a month since i brewed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've only ever added coffee to one recipe, and I chose to do it at bottling time. I wanted as much coffee flavor as possible with as little added water as possible, so I brewed up a bunch of dark espresso and used it instead of water for my priming sugar.

I did not make any changes to hops or anything.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I had very good result brewing 15 shots of espresso and putting them on the bottom of the secondary.

Drinking: Scaldis Belgian Special Ale; Allagash Grand Cru; AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale.
Primary: NB La Petite Orange Blanche (first taste 30 August 2014)
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
hibbleton
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've added 4 oz of ground beans in a hop bag to an oatmeal stout in the secondary. It ended up being too powerful and I think next time I would cold steep the beans overnight then add to the primary after fermentation is complete.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I cold steep some coarsely ground coffee after fermentation is complete. Then, I take a sample of the beer and add a small amount at a time until I hit my desired levels of coffee. After that, it is just math. I also find that I reach what I think is a good level and scale back about 15-20%, just in case. You can always add more, but it is impossible to take out.

And since I keg, I just added it to the keg, but I would do this at bottling time. And I use the cold steep process because it is supposed to be less acrid, and I wanted a smooth coffee taste. Coffee does add bitterness, so you want to make sure you balance for that.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I tossed in a half pound of French Roast Starbucks, coarsely ground, into the end of the boil, let it sit 20 minutes, then ran the wort through my chiller -
turned out very nice. Some say that method cuts down on head retention because it releases more oils, but it all looked/tasted good to me. I've only done it once, but I'll be doing it again soon!

My brother did the cold brew method - cold brewed coffee overnight, then added it to the wort just before bottling. That one was too mild at first, but turned out remarkably like a Pipeline Porter (Kona) after some nice aging.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

I have done it two ways. I have added straight beans to secondary, and have cold steeped coffee and added it to secondary. Both turned out very good. I do not like to hot steep the coffee as it seems to add bitterness which is not what I like. I think I used 2 ounces coarsly ground to 2 cups of cold water and it was perfect for a 5 gallon batch ot stout.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I make what I call a Cowboy Espresso for when I am out on the road.

After trying several different Coffee beans, I found the Starbucks Espresso to be the best. I can brew up a half pound to put in 6 half liter water bottles and it keeps for MONTHS without getting that old coffee taste. All the others begin tasting like old coffee after just a week or so.

I probably will never do a coffee beer, but I would recommend the Starbucks Espresso for those of you who do. (I have found it in beans and ground form.)

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN51277 View Post
I have done it two ways. I have added straight beans to secondary, and have cold steeped coffee and added it to secondary. Both turned out very good. I do not like to hot steep the coffee as it seems to add bitterness which is not what I like. I think I used 2 ounces coarsly ground to 2 cups of cold water and it was perfect for a 5 gallon batch ot stout.

what about sanitation when using the cold steep method? Has anybody had any infections by just putting unsanitized cold steep coffee into secondary?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
what about sanitation when using the cold steep method? Has anybody had any infections by just putting unsanitized cold steep coffee into secondary?
Nah. If you boil the water first and sanitize the vessel you're steeping in, you should be ok.

Quick Reply