Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cocoa powder kills krausen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Cocoa powder kills krausen?

So I just finished making a killer looking Mint Chocolate Stout recipe, and it's raging in the carboy as I type this.

It called for 8oz of unsweetened cocoa powder the last 5 mins. As you can imagine, it looks a bit hot-chocolate-ish, and I noticed that no krausen is really building on the beer.

However, it IS churning quite a bit, but all bubbles pop when they surface, creating a sparkle-like effect. Is this normal when adding cocoa powder? I have no doubt that the beer is fine, but I'm curious.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Cocoa powder contains 10-15% cocoa butter, which can kill the krausen. Don't expect a good head on the pour either.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Cocoa powder contains 10-15% cocoa butter, which can kill the krausen. Don't expect a good head on the pour either.
This contained 2% fat total content. I read anything below 3% is pretty acceptable. Given that I'm going to cold crash it, and am kegging it, I think I'll be fine in regards to head retention and/or carbonation.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I made a chocolate stout with 8oz of cocoa powder. The krausen doesn't seem to form because of the thin film of fat on top. I cold crashed then racked from the bottom. The film on top did not make it into the keg. It had great head retention.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1034 Times on 839 Posts

Might be the yeast. My chocolate stout uses 8 ounces of low fat cocoa powder at the end of the boil (5g batch) and without a 1" ID blow-off hose my ferm fridge would have a thick layer of goo from all the 'splosions.

Rehydrated S04 running at 67°F. The Beast Of The Yeast don't care 'bout no stinking cocoa

Cheers!

(ps: I get wicked good head on my stouts)

Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
So I just finished making a killer looking Mint Chocolate Stout recipe, and it's raging in the carboy as I type this.

It called for 8oz of unsweetened cocoa powder the last 5 mins. As you can imagine, it looks a bit hot-chocolate-ish, and I noticed that no krausen is really building on the beer.

However, it IS churning quite a bit, but all bubbles pop when they surface, creating a sparkle-like effect. Is this normal when adding cocoa powder? I have no doubt that the beer is fine, but I'm curious.
So, it didn't explode out and paint the ceiling last night?

I would have gone with the Dutch Cocoa.

Quick Reply