*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > To Clone or not to Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's challenging to try to figure out a recipe (I found the intro article in BYO's 150 clone beers immensely helpful in attempt to deconstructing a recipe from only a few clues...then imputing the info into software and making the numbers work for you.)

It's a great way to get to know how ingredients play with other ingredients to achieve certain tastes. When trying to brew a clone, you learn a heck of a lot in terms of your own recipe creation.

And you end up with at least 2 case of one of your favorite beers for the cost of around one six pack of it.....Most of the beers that I really like and would consider cloning run anywhere from 10-20 bucks a sixer.....If I brew a clone (from a book, OR from my own experimentation) I can brew 50 bottles of it for about 20 bucks, as opposed to 80-160 bucks...PLUS I get the enjoyment of brewing at the same time...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just enjoy the whole process.

And I know which commercial beers I really like, so what better place to start a new recipe than with something close to one of those.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As many have said ,you can clone for at least 1/2 the price if not less.
Also lots of craft brews are limited runs or only available seasonally . This way you can enjoy them year round.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the problem is that when people talk about cloning a beer, people think it's just about copying, no different from bootlegging software or music. For me it's not about just having a copy of someone else's brew. It's about the learning experience.

Let me give one specific example of this learning experience. My wife and I have been trying some beers lately and looking up the recipes in Clone Brews. We found that a lot of the beers my wife likes have Hallertau hops. These are beers of very different styles Pilsner, Wheat, Bock. We both learned to recognize the distinctive flavor added by the Hallertau hops. It's hard not to recognize a distinctive flavor when everything else about the beer is different.

I don't know if I get around to cloning these beers, but the fact that they have been cloned, helped us to learn. Learning how to copy a recipe helps one learn about how the different flavors interact with each other. This is the knowledge I want to use to create my own recipes.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer one View Post
I see a lot of threads around about people who want to clone a beer and it got me thinking why you would want to clone beer. If you take account of the cost of equipment, ingredient and your time it is more expensive to brew your own. The only real reason that I can come up with for cloning is that the beer you want just is not around for you to pick up at a store. For me I like to brew a beer that I can share with friends and be able to say, "try this thats something that you wont find in a store" Any thoughts?

As has been said, you better not cook any food in your house that can be purchased at a restaurant or you are guilty of the same thing.

Brewing is a hobby, sometimes the process is the fun part. The fact that you get a few cases of beer out of it is just gravy.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2172 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

Yep, it CAN be cheaper, but it really depends on how much $$ you like to throw at this hobby. I know a few peoples on here who would have to live to be 150 to come out even!

I've gone AG and Bulk buy grain and hops if I can and estimate that I'm well below 1/2 price for the beers that I've made since then (And since I built my own crusher, I don't have to add that into the initial cost!)

But I clone beers because it's a challenge and I'll like the beer that I make when I'm done. Odds are that I'll never really hit the taste exactly, but I learn to comprehend the process that makes that commercial version what it is. And I find out what it is about my water, process, etc. that makes my beer what it is (for good or for bad).

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
I just enjoy the whole process.

And I know which commercial beers I really like, so what better place to start a new recipe than with something close to one of those.
+1. I have a couple brew-buddies who moreless roll their eyes when I mention a clone recipe. Screw em. There is nothing wrong with it. Its brewing any way you slice it.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #18
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

It's a freakin recipe for God's sake. It's not like you're buying it already made. For noobs how else you gonna learn what tastes are expected.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 06-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sometimes it's fun to see how close I can come to the commercial version, other times because it costs half as much to brew the beer than to buy it in the store. Plus there's the bonus of saying "I made this". That given, most of the recipes I do are variants of clones, tweaked to my liking, or I'll read the description of a commercial beer and come up with my own recipe that I think will taste similar.

I don't see what the big deal about doing a clone is, regardless it's not going to be exactly the same because we don't have the same brewing conditions as commercial breweries.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
sully
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the first sip of rogue's shakespere stout made me want to brew that beer over and over again, and then again. clones are awesome recipes and when you get strung out on some of your own creations clones are great to switch it up.

Quick Reply