Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Clementines and zest to last 5 minutes of boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Coupleathree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Clementines and zest to last 5 minutes of boil

So I was brewing a wheat beer today and on a whim zested a few clementines and peeled 6 and tossed that in for the last five minutes of the boil. I just dumped everything into the primary and pitched the yeast. Didn't think much of It, but later did some research and I'm not sure if it was a good idea. Should I let this sit for a week and then transfer to secondary and leave the clementines behind? If I leave them longer, will they go rancid? Any and all comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. I realize to get fruit flavor they should be added to secondary, not primary. But it is too late for that....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think you should be ok, just keep tasting it. Since it's a sterile Environ, I don't see the fruit going bad.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
I think you should be ok, just keep tasting it. Since it's a sterile Environ, I don't see the fruit going bad.
It's actually sanitary, not sterile. I agree, I doubt the OP will have any issues.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 633 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 247

they will not go rancid. the yeast has taken over in the beer (hopefully), there shouldn't be a whole lot else active that can get the rotting process going.

how diligent were you in getting the peel only, and avoiding the pith (aka the white stuff under the external peel)? the pith can be quite astringent. as long as you don't have too much of that, you'll be fine.

in fact, the chances of things going wrong are pretty slim based on my limited experience. i did exactly as you did on my first batch. upon bottling the beer smelled really strongly of peel, i was afraid that i had ruined the batch by leaving the rind in primary. the beer turned out great.

for future reference, you should strain out the peel while going from kettle to primary.

and the peels don't need to go into secondary, necessarily. adding peel to the last 5-10 minutes of the boil is the traditional way of getting the flavor into a wheat beer.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 633 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 247

<dubbel post>

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Quick Reply