Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cleaning a Therminator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
ForRealBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I brew, I heat up my remaining sparge water (always have a couple extra gallons) to around 180 and mix in Saniclean and run it through the Therminator and my tubing with no cooling. After that, I drain it and discard the first pint or so of the finished wort before I start filling the fermenter. That makes sure there's no bugs in it as my hot wort is cooled.

After all is said and done on brewday, as part of cleanup I rinse the Therminator of any wort left inside with plain old water and then once again sanitize it with Saniclean, drain well and cap it off so that it won't grow any fuglies inside in between brewing sessions.

At work we have a fiber optic microscope and once I took in the Therminator and looked deep inside it. No crud, no etching, clean as a whistle.

As for heating the Therminator in the oven, I've heard that you can do that, but not to take it over 350 dF and only heat soak it for an hour. That high a temp would certainly sterilize it very nicely without risking any damage.

I would ask Blichmann what they thought just to be sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I like to use the leftover water from chilling to flush both the inlet and outlet. I found that the initial burst of water pressure is the most effective in flushing it out. So push water through the outlet, drain the water, and repeat on the other side. Doing this a dozen times or so should flush the majority of debris out. I'd suggest using whole hops rather than pellet hops unless there is some way you can strain them. I have a false bottom in my boil kettle and hop debris still get through. A hop back doubles as an additional filter pre-chiller. I do like the idea of putting it in the oven on the cleaning cycle. I might have to try that. Also, the boiling water is a effective and cost efficient way of sanitizing it before using it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply