Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > cleaning kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
BiscayneBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, you can use it. I have a plastic bottle with an attachment that hooks up to the draft tower after the faucet has been removed. I purge the line of air while filling it with cleaning solution. Let the solution sit in the lines for a half hour and then empty the line of cleaning solution and flush with starsan/sanitizer solution.

As far as keg cleaning, I also have one of those long dip tube brushes that I use when I break down the keg for a more extensive cleaning.

Et Tu, Brew Day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

FWIW I am not a huge fan of always using detergents to clean kegs.

My theory is that if it started clean and was filled with clean beer than it's still pretty close to clean. I think complete disassembly is crucial to remove hops particles or yeast sludge, however.

So, I take the thing apart and use a brush on the dip tube. Inspect and soak (in hot water) the poppet valves and the in/out posts and lid. Then I power rinse the inside with a garden hose and handheld sprayer. I carefully inspect the inside and if it's clean, then it's clean. Reassemble and add about a quart of starsan. Pressurize. Shake to completely coat the inside. Attach a picnic tap and drain a little starsan so the dip tube gets filled with sanitizer. Then store until needed. It's good to go on demand up to months later.

Now if there's visible gunk stuck to the inside of the keg, then you have to mechanically scrub it and probably need Oxyclean.

Works for me.

L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply