Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cleaning Better Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
scarlessmeanie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cleaning Better Bottles

I was browsing today and came across an article on a site I don't now remember that stated that you should not clean Better Bottles with a brush as it will scratch them. Is this true? I have cleaned my primary with a brush and it looks fine. It wasn't a wire brush or anything like that, just a regular plastic bristle brush intended for carboy cleaning.

If this IS true and you can't clean Better Bottles with a brush, then why did my starter kit COME with a carboy brush?

LIFT SHOP

RED CAP BREWING CO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 24

They say don't use the brush...so I don't. The brush was for a glass carboy I suspect. You'd have to ask your kit supplier the question why....
It's really easy to clean better bottles with a rag thrown in and then inverted and swished around. search youtube for some good videos. It's actually easier to clean them this way than with a brush.........I cleaned my first one with a brush too once before I was enlightened.

Green Bay Packers - 13 Time World Champions

Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No brush on a better bottle. I'd imagine it was included because the starter kit you ordered had a glass carboy option as well, and it would be logistically difficult to omit the brush for orders that select the plastic carboy option...so they just throw it in.

In a pinch, I've thrown a couple papertowels into the carboy filled with a gallon or so of PBW solution, and just swirled it to create agitation.

The much better option is to plan ahead, and use time, temperature, and concentration to clean your carboy for you. I have had some pretty ugly post-fermentation better bottles that I simply filled with a hot PBW solution, and left on the kitchen counter over night. I guarantee that by the next morning, the carboy will be spotless (and scratch free).

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post
No brush on a better bottle. I'd imagine it was included because the starter kit you ordered had a glass carboy option as well, and it would be logistically difficult to omit the brush for orders that select the plastic carboy option...so they just throw it in.

In a pinch, I've thrown a couple papertowels into the carboy filled with a gallon or so of PBW solution, and just swirled it to create agitation.

The much better option is to plan ahead, and use time, temperature, and concentration to clean your carboy for you. I have had some pretty ugly post-fermentation better bottles that I simply filled with a hot PBW solution, and left on the kitchen counter over night. I guarantee that by the next morning, the carboy will be spotless (and scratch free).
I follow this exact approach, except with oxyclean.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
scarlessmeanie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know. I did use the brush once, but no longer. Thankfully it looks like there are no tiny scratches on my bottle.

LIFT SHOP

RED CAP BREWING CO.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
neut2004
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't use water over about 140 degrees with oxyclean or pbw unless you want a deformed better bottle. I can give you photos for proof.

Quick Reply