Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Clean or Replace?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Clean or Replace?

Found a 10g Cornelius keg on Craigslist; had a buddy pick it up from a guy who had not used it for over a decade. Long story short, doesn't look like it was stored properly, so the posts/dip tubes are fairly corroded, etc. (picture below). As an aside I was interested to find that the entire dip/post assemblies come right off the keg; I've only seen 5g kegs before.

What's the best method for trying to clean these things up? Will soaking in PBW do it? CLR? Is there another relatively common chemical cleaner that will work?

Second question: where can a person get replacement dip tubes, etc. for this keg? If I don't end up being able to clean these up, or if I just decide I need a spare, who is likely to have one? I took a quick look around some of the retailers I normally use, but of course they just have parts for 5g kegs.

Appreciate any help!

dip-tubes.jpg  

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2149 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

The pic is not so great, but assuming they are Stainless, they should clean up pretty good. I'm wondering how they got corroded in the first place unless someone used the wrong stuff, or rigged up some "aftermarket" parts on there.

I think a careful soak in some rust away solution might work on stainless. Read the label first though. I know that stainless can be cleaned with an acid wash.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
drewbop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you looked at Simgo? They sell the individual keg parts.

Kegs

Quick Reply