Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The Claymore

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default The Claymore

WARNING: I am not responsible for anyone lost, stolen or broken from this point forward!!!!

I spent most of the day today brewing the thing I thought I never would, my 1st competition beer. It is a small local comp held by my homebrew club. I had to use "smoke" as an ingredient as part of the rules. I decided I would brew a new twist with some old favorites, post up the recipe, process and the end results all in one spot, sort of a "mini blog". Feel free to add what you want!

The beer will be a "Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy-9E" that I have dubbed "The Claymore" I have spent the majority of the the day not only brewing but listening to tribal drums and bagpipes. Infusing my brew and brew day with some serious epicness! Hence, I am calling this "The Claymore". To share in this experience, I shall now post up one of my favorite "unknown" bands. I am hoping my beer is half as great as this!

The bands name is Cu Dubh (coo-doo) an epic unheard of underdog, much like this brew. The name of the song is Hrafn.

The recipe + process is:

The Claymore - Whiskey Barrel Smoked Wee Heavy

6 gallon batch
OG:1.101
?FG: 1.027 <- serious guess lol
ABV: 9.6%
IBU: 20
SRM 15.6

Malts:

12 lbs 2 row

2 lbs rauch malt
4 lbs smoked malt
2 oz lightly peated malt

1 lbs amber malt
8 oz RED MILL Scottish Oatmeal
8 oz crystal 120
8 oz. Carapils
4 oz. Caramunich
4 oz. Caravienne
4 oz biscut malt
2 oz aromatic malt

Hops:

1 oz. EKG@60
.50 oz. Fuggles @40
.50 oz. EKG@20

Extras:
11.5 oz. Lyle’s golden syrup. (entire bottle @ flameout)
Irish moss @ 15

Yeast: Scottish ale - 2L starter

Secondary onto JD whiskey barrel chips toasted @ 250 for 20 min. to taste.

I fully understand that in most cases all the specialty malts would be considered a "train wreck". The hydro sample was nothing short of EPIC!!!!

I mashed in at 155F for 60 min. Second runnings @ 157F for 60 min and Mashed out @ 168 for 30.

(*This was all done on my stove top)
I immediately after collecting the 1st runnings brought it to a boil. It was stirred, to prevent scorching, and boiled the entire time! Part of the category description mentions long boils and caramelization flavors, so I wanted that! 2nd runnings were added to the the 1st runnings and then what did not fit was brought to a boil in a separate kettle. Collected the mash out runnings and added that to the 2nd runnings. I brought both pots to a boil split the hops in 1/2 per pot and started the long 90 min boil.

Near the end I dumped the 2nd kettle into my big kettle when it could all fit inside and added the final hop addition, moss and syrup to this. I boiled off a LOT of liquid and believe to have achieved a very true "Wee Heavy"per description.

I will pitch the yeast at 12:00am. Just a few short moments away. After primary fermentation I will toast 1/2 lbs of Jack Daniels whiskey barrel chips and rack to that until the flavor is perfect. (I suspect about 3-5 days)

So what does the community think of all this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Pitched and blow-off tube in place! now comes the wait...and talk...

Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That is a $hitload of smoked malt. The one smoked ale I did had ~ 15% rauchmalt (but did also have some smoked black tea too). Your bill is probably at least double that! I have no doubt it will be highly smokey...

What constitutes the difference between your rauchmalt and the 'smoked malt?' Is the smoked done with some different wood?

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This recipe . . . . . . . ... . . looks perfect to me.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
BillyBock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic
What constitutes the difference between your rauchmalt and the 'smoked malt?' Is the smoked done with some different wood?
Rauch means smoke or smoked in German. Yeah, so what's the difference between your rauch malt and smoked malt? Curious because I like Rauchbier and I have a batch fermenting right now!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yikes, that's a lot of smoked malt. I used 1 lb of smoked malt in a porter once and it was like drinking out of a campfire (not bad, just intense) even after aging for a couple months. I can't imagine the smoke in this one

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1851 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

If you use enough JD barrel chips,they should tone that smokey flavor a bit. Think of what JD & Kentucky bourbon taste like at 8 years old. I think it's gunna be pretty good with enough aging.
I'm doing a dark ale that's close to FG. I'm going to secondary it with 4oz of medium toast French oak chips that have been soaking in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black Bourbon. That 8 year old stuff should give similar flavors.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Zamial
Recipes 

I will now clarify the differences between the smoked malts.

Weyermann - Rauch malt. It is unclear (even on their site) what they use to smoke the malt. Coming from Germany it can take months to arrive at the shelf where it can also sit for some time. All of this lag reduces the smokiness, much like hops.

Breiss - Smoked malt. Is smoked with Door county cherry wood. It has a stronger flavor and smoke presence than the Rauch malt due to it being made in the state I live. (only a few hours away) It is more popular than the rauch malt according to the LHBS.

(Briess???)-Peated malt. Smoked with peat. WICKED STRONG!!!

IMO with my limited experience using smoked malts Rauchmalt seems to have a milder food like flavor (perhaps similar to beef jerky?) The Smoked malt has a more pronounced wood smoked flavor and is a little more smokey than the Rauch, closer to campfire smoke. Of course Peated malt is smoked over peat and is the strongest but tastes VERY different than the other 2.

I am not a big fan of rauch malt or the peated malt (NOTE: I USED 2 OZ NOT LBS of the peated!!!) but really like the smoked malt. I wanted the 3 different smoke flavors to mingle to make a nice but unique smoke flavor. The other thing to note is this is huge malty monster which should mask the smoke more than say an amber or lighter beer.

The hydro sample I drank was REALLY good. It had IMO the right amount of smokiness that was present. Unfortunately the sample was wicked sweet as well...lol. I will not know if I jumped off the cliff with the smoke flavor until after fermentation is done.

My end goal is to have the toasted whiskey barrel chips meld with the smokey malty Wee Heavy flavors and not over power the ale. I hope this will enhance the smoke flavor as well as subdue it slightly. (I toyed with the idea of smoking my own malt with the whiskey barrel chips but had no idea what the end result will be and 1 day may try that.) I have however toasted and used the chips in a IIPA as described above and it turned out great.

This is a 1 or 2 of beer and not something to down a 6 pack or more of. It will not even be close to ready until mid October or even later. The Judging will be on OCT. 8th. If I win, cool. If not, I have this epic ale so I feel like I already have!

I already have bought the O2 barrier caps...so aging this is just fine with me!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
a_potter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That damn post keeps getting in the way of that girl in the front row.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Not a fan of the gagpipes...

Anyway, I was hesitant to try a smoked beer until I got a chance at a brewday that Henry Hill hosted. It was very good! Then I thought, it would be hard to have too much! Not so...

A local brewery made a batch of smoked beer and I swear it was almost like sticking the end of a burnt stick in your mouth and rubbing it all over your tongue. It wasn't bad enough to not drink, but they could have halved the smoke and I would have been happy.

Quick Reply