Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Classified Question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #21
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sorry you don't like the rules. Advertising is advertising, no matter what you want to call it. Maybe since you're self-publishing, newspapers and TV and magazines will let you advertise for free? No, I don't think so either.

If you're not happy with my response, please take it up with TxBrew, the administrator of the forum.
Of Course newspapers and TV and magazines wont let you advertise for free, they are a business and as such in business to make a profit. I was, however under the impression that this is not a business nor is it in business to make a profit from its members. Maybe i am mistaken on that fact. So please do correct me if i am wrong.
__________________
Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPora View Post
Vance,
Yooper's post said "Anything produced for profit" is not allowed. Just because you're not "a business" doesn't mean that the book that you are producing for profit is exempt from the rules.

"Sharing information about something available for sale" is called an advertisement. And most of the time those cost money...just like hosting a file server for a homebrewing forum and moderating it costs money.

You're going about this the wrong way, antagonizing the people who create and keep up this forum is going to get you nowhere. Next time, instead of fighting the rules, start a thread titled "I'm writing a book of homebrew recipes, anybody want to add a recipe or give me ideas on how to market it when it's finished?" Then you would have a buttload of people wanting to add their recipe...and you would get publicity without anybody knowing it's publicity/advertising. The people who ask to add their recipe will know about the upcoming book and might want buy it to see if their recipe made the cut or they'd suggest it to a friend to find out.
Thank you, and ya your prolly right, i tend to get a bit over excited and well i have a defined thought process about what forums should and shouldn't be. I think forums should be a place were fellow home brewers can share information,ideas,etc and not be insulted when their ideas differ from other peoples ideas.
__________________
Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #23
Frodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 1,033
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

I'm guessing your cost for an advertisement on this forum just went up... just kidding. I'm pretty sure the reason I can be a non-paying member on this site is that it's the advertisers who pay for advertising on this site end up paying my way. Thank you advertisers. Thanks Sam Calagione! And thanks Vance if you choose to advertise.

__________________
Frodo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #24
curlyfat
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,397
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

This forum is a business. As a business entity, it has the right to decide what rules must be followed within the realms of said business. If folks don't like the rules, they go somewhere else. That's the beauty of free-market.

I simply don't follow the argument that you're not advertising, when you are obviously promoting (i.e. advertising) a book that you wrote.

As stated above, if you had approached it from a more humble outlook, you might have been better received. Unfortunately, you come across as some random dude that thinks he knows enough to write a book, but has no clue how the world works in regards to marketing that book.

If you are selling a product you created, you are a business whether you like it or not. You are on that side of "commerce".

__________________
curlyfat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
curlyfat
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,397
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Crap. I just caught that scent. What is that?....

Arg. Troll. Ick.

__________________
curlyfat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Greyhound's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shirley, MA, USA
Posts: 363
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Self publishing was my first choice. The profit margins are greater.
And why do you think that is? Partly because publishing companies have to pay to advertise.
__________________

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Greyhound is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Thank you for posting this, you strengthened my case for me.

Business: 5. commerce; trade 6. a commercial or industrial establishment.
Commercial: 2. made or done for profit

What i was asking about is NOT Commerce, because there is no direct sale from me to the interested party, Again I am not a commercial or industrial establishment.

Nor it is done for profit, because with what i was asking to post here there is no direct sale or profit made, what i was asking to post here is simply a sharing of information. Call it semantics if you like, but i personally like to hear when there is a new brew book on the market, so that i can look into it and decide if i want it or not.
So why did you want to post in the classifieds?

There are plenty of references to other websites throughout the forum.
__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,901
Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Of Course newspapers and TV and magazines wont let you advertise for free, they are a business and as such in business to make a profit. I was, however under the impression that this is not a business nor is it in business to make a profit from its members. Maybe i am mistaken on that fact. So please do correct me if i am wrong.
You're wrong. This is a business.

Oh, we all love the forum and talking about beer! We moderators don't get a penny, we just do it because it's a great hobby and we genuinely like the people who hang out here.

However, servers and websites cost big money. Some of us pay to be a supporter of the site, to help with the costs. Others pay advertising dollars to keep this forum going.

You asked a question, and it was answered. Several times. The answer to selling anything besides a few brewing items is prohibited. Selling books, homebrew supplies, hardware fittings, etc, would all require a Vendor's Membership. This is not up for debate here.

If you'd like to make a case that an exception should be made for you, please contact the admin- TxBrew- to make your case.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #29
maxamuus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 873
Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
that this is not a business nor is it in business to make a profit from its members. Maybe i am mistaken on that fact. So please do correct me if i am wrong.
I believe you are wrong. Txbrew is a nice guy but i don't believe he hosts this website out of the goodness of his heart.

Much like your book this website takes a considerable amount of time and money to keep it up and running. The Ads, membership, etc pay Txbrew to keep this site up and running. Much like your wouldn't give your book away for free why would Tx give his work away for free?

If you cant afford a vendor membership i would suggest talking with Tx and see if you could work out a profit sharing agreement where every book you sell he would get a cut of the profit.
__________________
maxamuus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #30
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 43,848
Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
If your sure i shopped it around you would be incorrect, i made the choice not to.Great book,good book,bad book well only time and sales will decide that.
Self publishing was my first choice. The profit margins are greater. With a conventional publishing house you make between .25 and .50 cents per book. Self publishing however nets an average profit of between 2.00 and 5.00 per book.As a matter of fact i never even submitted it to a publisher, by choice not necessity.
Right here you say you're concerned with profit. Which you should be. You worked hard on your book. Other people around here selling tiny things pony up for the vendor accounts. If it's something you continually will be selling, you're a vendor.
It sounds like you're just looking for free advertising. How do you expect to sell anything without paying for advertising?
__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo
IrregularPulse is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I overly classified? Zymurgrafi General Beer Discussion 1 06-12-2007 12:02 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS