Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Classified Question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
JohnTheBrewist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 620
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Vance, you're quite wrong about not being a business. The tax world certainly looks at you as a business. Even if you go through something like Cafe Press, who makes the sale and collects the tax. You are in this sense self-employed as an author. You are the sole proprietor of your professional business, and your city may even require that you have a business license.

If you are having the book printed and selling direct you'll likely need some sort of resale permit+ business license etc.

I think the classifieds section here should be more considered as a flea market, than a place to sell new goods.

__________________

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

JohnTheBrewist is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
maxamuus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 872
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeldon View Post
this probably sounds stupid, but where is the classified section?
Right here.... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/
__________________
maxamuus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,667
Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of a classified section? Because truly by definition, If you have used something for a few years, or even a few times, you got your use out of it, and are reselling it, then it is in fact profit because you have already got your moneys worth out of it.

To me, it sounds like this forum has put its rules in place to MAKE a profit by forcing members to buy a vendor account even if they are not a vendor, which i am not, nor am i a business,im an author who is trying to get the word out about his first book. I'm not some rich guy who can drop thousands on advertising or even hundreds for that matter. I am Self Publishing which means i got no big advance from a publishing house, no one paying for ads for the book, no one out promoting it, no media coverage all i got is ME and word of mouth.

As a matter a fact, I am not trying to "Sell" Anything only share information about something that will be available for sale, should someone want to look for it.
Sorry you don't like the rules. Advertising is advertising, no matter what you want to call it. Maybe since you're self-publishing, newspapers and TV and magazines will let you advertise for free? No, I don't think so either.

If you're not happy with my response, please take it up with TxBrew, the administrator of the forum.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 1,760
Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Websters New World Dictionary:

Business: 5. commerce; trade 6. a commercial or industrial establishment.
Commercial: 2. made or done for profit

Yooper is not giving you a hard time... I think you are just trying to play a game with semantics because it isn't for sale "just yet." However, I think it is clear to everyone that you want to sell this book. Hence you are advertising the "future" sale of this book to drum up interest. As I'm sure many here would agree, we wish the best in your venture, we just want you to play by the rules that everyone else does. It's not personal. As Yooper said, classified ads are those for the occasional seller. The one who wants to get rid of an extra item, but is not in the business of selling items on a regular basis or trying to sell multiples of a book.

On a personal level, I pay for membership in the forums for the quality of the forum... I don't want to pay for others ads.

__________________
I love the sound of an airlock bubbling in the morning. It sounds like.....VICTORY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.
BigB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,667
Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of a classified section? Because truly by definition, If you have used something for a few years, or even a few times, you got your use out of it, and are reselling it, then it is in fact profit because you have already got your moneys worth out of it.

To me, it sounds like this forum has put its rules in place to MAKE a profit by forcing members to buy a vendor account even if they are not a vendor, which i am not, nor am i a business,im an author who is trying to get the word out about his first book. I'm not some rich guy who can drop thousands on advertising or even hundreds for that matter. I am Self Publishing which means i got no big advance from a publishing house, no one paying for ads for the book, no one out promoting it, no media coverage all i got is ME and word of mouth.

As a matter a fact, I am not trying to "Sell" Anything only share information about something that will be available for sale, should someone want to look for it.
And now that I've responded appropriately, and hours later am drinking, I feel like I can say what I think.

If your argument is as intelligently written as your book, perhaps you may want to think about a re-write.

Tip: capitalize "i" when talking about yourself, and don't capitalize "Self Publishing". Capitalizing Self Publishing and not "i" makes you sound stupid. I'd suggest an apostrophe for "I'm". Using punctuation correctly makes you seem like you could be an author. I won't even discuss grammar. Perhaps your talents as an author don't translate to "forum speak".
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
And now that I've responded appropriately, and hours later am drinking, I feel like I can say what I think.

If your argument is as intelligently written as your book, perhaps you may want to think about a re-write.
ROTFLMAO (did that just for you Yoop )

Vance - why not just put the link in your next post here?

Say "Hey, here is a link to a book I wrote..." Why does it even need to be in the classifieds?

Edit: Well, I guess now that you have the attention of the mods... it could be seen in a different light
__________________
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #17
oteixeira
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Middlesex, NC
Posts: 101
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

It's such a great book that no one picked it up. I am sure he shopped it around, self-publishing is a last resort for most people. There are plenty of GREAT brew books. Why don't you send us a link where we can download the thing for free, that we it wouldn't be against the rules.

Orlando

__________________
Next To Brew:
Primary #1: Chocolate Milk O Stout
Primary #2: Wicked Pissa ESB

On Tap #1: Lil Brown (3.2% second running)
On Tap #2: None
On Tap #3: BBA Imperial Stout
On Tap #4: None
On Tap #5: Brooklyn Lager Clone

On Tap #6: Coke Zero!
oteixeira is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira View Post
It's such a great book that no one picked it up. I am sure he shopped it around, self-publishing is a last resort for most people. There are plenty of GREAT brew books. Why don't you send us a link where we can download the thing for free, that we it wouldn't be against the rules.

Orlando
If your sure i shopped it around you would be incorrect, i made the choice not to.Great book,good book,bad book well only time and sales will decide that.
Self publishing was my first choice. The profit margins are greater. With a conventional publishing house you make between .25 and .50 cents per book. Self publishing however nets an average profit of between 2.00 and 5.00 per book.As a matter of fact i never even submitted it to a publisher, by choice not necessity.
__________________

Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #19
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
And now that I've responded appropriately, and hours later am drinking, I feel like I can say what I think.

If your argument is as intelligently written as your book, perhaps you may want to think about a re-write.

Tip: capitalize "i" when talking about yourself, and don't capitalize "Self Publishing". Capitalizing Self Publishing and not "i" makes you sound stupid. I'd suggest an apostrophe for "I'm". Using punctuation correctly makes you seem like you could be an author. I won't even discuss grammar. Perhaps your talents as an author don't translate to "forum speak".
Correct, i simply don't care about grammar rules on an online forum. As far as my argument goes, well i guess you forgot that in America we have the right to our own opinions.

For that matter, Forums like this are suppose to be a place for fellow members of the hobby to share ideas and information, not insult each other over their opinions.
__________________
Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Websters New World Dictionary:

Business: 5. commerce; trade 6. a commercial or industrial establishment.
Commercial: 2. made or done for profit

Yooper is not giving you a hard time... I think you are just trying to play a game with semantics because it isn't for sale "just yet." However, I think it is clear to everyone that you want to sell this book. Hence you are advertising the "future" sale of this book to drum up interest. As I'm sure many here would agree, we wish the best in your venture, we just want you to play by the rules that everyone else does. It's not personal. As Yooper said, classified ads are those for the occasional seller. The one who wants to get rid of an extra item, but is not in the business of selling items on a regular basis or trying to sell multiples of a book.

On a personal level, I pay for membership in the forums for the quality of the forum... I don't want to pay for others ads.
Thank you for posting this, you strengthened my case for me.

Business: 5. commerce; trade 6. a commercial or industrial establishment.
Commercial: 2. made or done for profit

What i was asking about is NOT Commerce, because there is no direct sale from me to the interested party, Again I am not a commercial or industrial establishment.

Nor it is done for profit, because with what i was asking to post here there is no direct sale or profit made, what i was asking to post here is simply a sharing of information. Call it semantics if you like, but i personally like to hear when there is a new brew book on the market, so that i can look into it and decide if i want it or not.
__________________
Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I overly classified? Zymurgrafi General Beer Discussion 1 06-11-2007 11:02 PM