Class Action Lawsuit Against Blue Rhino Propane!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
And I'm part of it. I get $7.50 for every cylinder I can prove I bought, or a one time payout of $7.50 if I have no proof of payment (I'm in category #2).

Apparently the widely-recognized fact that their tanks are never full caught up with them in court.

I heard about this settlement a while back. I calculated how long it would take to join the class action lawsuit, keep track of my settlement, and deposit the check;I discovered that $7.50 was significantly below what I'm worth an hour.

Still, I'm glad someone pursued this action. I've since stopped purchasing BR propane in favor of the brand at Menard's in the self-serve kiosk.

I heard about this settlement a while back. I calculated how long it would take to join the class action lawsuit, keep track of my settlement, and deposit the check;I discovered that $7.50 was significantly below what I'm worth an hour.

Still, I'm glad someone pursued this action. I've since stopped purchasing BR propane in favor of the brand at Menard's in the self-serve kiosk.

All I did was submit an email. Well worth some of my money back.

I never heard about the lawsuit, but then again, I don't exchange at blue rhino stations. I am actually surprised that there was a lawsuit. I had heard a few years back that the propane companies were going to short fill the tanks instead of raising the price when propane prices went up. Blue Rhino must have done it without properly informing customers that a 20lb tank was only going to have something like 15lbs in it.

I never have understood the propane exchange. It is much cheaper to go get your tank filled and only pay for what you use. Any RV lot will refill your propane tank.

The problem was that they were filling to 14lbs and didn't tell the customer. You'll notice that there's fine print on the label now that says "net weight 14lbs".

I understand the draw for exchanges. The person processing payment doesn't have to hook up the whip and wait for the fill to happen and neither does the customer. It's just really stupid when the fills are only 70% of the tank's capacity.

The last real fill I got was 20.5 pounds.

I wonder how much of the settlement money goes to the attorneys? Nothing will come of this, a few people will get some money back. Yes all those caged refill places don't sell tanks that are filled to 20# ...nothing new here. In Michigan we already went through this years ago. Blue Rhino now shows small print that Tell's you it isn't 20# but most people just see a tank and assume it's full. Some fine print gets added to a sign, a lawyer makes a profit and the cycle goes on.

the exchange down in De is about 18 bucks at the cheapest, but for less fuel. :-(

What are you guys paying per lb in ur area, never thought just to take it and get it filled up. I love free stuff

the exchange down in De is about 18 bucks at the cheapest, but for less fuel. :-(

What are you guys paying per lb in ur area, never thought just to take it and get it filled up. I love free stuff

Here in Buffalo, BR exchanges are ~$26. When I lived in the north towns I used to get 20# for 18 at a local car wash. In the south towns it runs about $22 for 20#s.

BR exchange was a last resort for me.

If you have a BR tank do you have to do an exchange? Can't you just fill it at a regular fill station? Just curious as someone gave me a BR tank and am debating whether or not to fill it or just go get another tank.

There are interests that want to limit or eliminate our ability to file class action suits. This is another example of why we need them. By ourselves nobody could bring that corporation to justice.

My wife and I got a settlement from CertainTeed roof shingles. We bought their product and they lasted only five years. We had paid for a twentyfive year promise. We had to replace the roof for 8K. I think our settlement was like 2K. We could not have sued by ourselves.

Didn’t know about the law suit, but discovered the BR ripe-off recently. Lost power for almost a week during the freak fall snow storm here in NJ. The station that I normally fill at couldn’t pump with no electric, so went to Home Depot. Pissed when I found out about the short fills. Not so much the money as that my generator ran for less than six hours instead of the normal eight plus.

Have to get that line run to the big propane tank that feeds the kitchen stove.

I payed $2.26 cents a gallon last weekend. I filled one empty tank and one partial for $18.53. My tanks usually take between 4.5 and 5 gallons each. So an empty is around $10.00. So exchanging is costing you about twice as much as refilling does.

Around here rv stores, farm and ranch stores, some gas stations and the quick lube sell bulk propane. Take your tank in. the worst they can say is no. But that would cost them profit and there is no law preventing them from refilling your tank. Propane is propane why not get it for half price.

If you have a BR tank do you have to do an exchange? Can't you just fill it at a regular fill station? Just curious as someone gave me a BR tank and am debating whether or not to fill it or just go get another tank.

You can get the tanks refilled anywhere. That is the only reason I hand ever used their services. When your propane tank is needing a hydro testing, simply take it to one of their retail locations and swap for one of theirs. Then refill for cheaper at your favorite propane place. Here in my part on MD. I pay around 15 bucks for a refill.

Around where I live either few places do refills or lots of places do it but don't advertise. Fortunately I found a feed store a couple miles away that does refills. It seems like everywhere does those stupid BR exchanges.

I bought a new tank a little while ago and started getting it filled at the U-haul place by my work. I get 20lb for a little under $20. It doesn't take any longer to fill it than it does to wait for the guy at the store to open the propane cage for the exchange.

I bought a new tank a little while ago and started getting it filled at the U-haul place by my work. I get 20lb for a little under $20. It doesn't take any longer to fill it than it does to wait for the guy at the store to open the propane cage for the exchange.

I don't recall the price, but I've gone to a U-haul place to get a refill, too. It was pretty convenient.

If you go to Uhaul's website you can print off a coupon for $1 off every refill for a year.

SW Idaho, I paid $3.50 a gallon last week. Cost me ~$18 to fill. But the exchange wants $25, so it's still a good deal for me.

I had always thought the BR exhange tanks felt a little light. And I had heard they were getting in hot water over it. So I went back to going to the local RV lot. It is cheaper than exchange here. I think my last fill was 18+tax and a BR exchange is about 23+tax. We have another vendor here that does exchanges like BR, I think they're called Ameri-Gas or something like that. I wonder if they underfill too? Probably...

Hopefully, I won't be brewing with propane much longer either. Electric brewing will be my project this winter!!!

Great info on getting the refill done at U-Haul. Just rcvd my coupon and will be heading there today to refill my BR tank.

Once again proving the knowledge and resources gained on this sight. Keep'em coming.
Cheers!
BB

You're right it doesn't. But my local RV Dealer has freakish hours 10am-5pm. It's a scramble sometimes to get there and get a tank filled.

Franc103 said:

I use menards as well, but I just checked out the lawsuit website and it lists amerigas along with br which is what I think menards kiosks are. Oh well... I doubt I'll change.

Just had mine refilled for the first time. 19 bucks to refill a completely empty tank. Good thing is the refill station is just a few miles from home and there is a great wing place right there also..win win.

I never have understood the propane exchange. It is much cheaper to go get your tank filled and only pay for what you use. Any RV lot will refill your propane tank.

I did this once. It took 20 minutes. It takes 2 minutes to exchange. I have no desire to stand around for 20 minutes over $5.

I'm glad I've never used BR exchange. I go to my local hardware store. Last refill was 4.6 gallons and cost me $15. I dropped it off to the cage, let them know I needed propane and grabbed a few other things in the store and by the time I got to the register it was done.

Did the exchange once, couldn't believe how expensive it was.
Did the Gas station & Uhaul for a year, couldn't believe how much time and gas I was spending filling tanks.
Reworked the burners for NG - oh what a relief it was.

Of course now I wanted to brew indoors, so I switched to electric. What's next? Atomic Brewing.

i did the blue rhino once, at $20 was a little hard to swallow, so i went to the place my friend gets her propane for her house, got a full 100lb tank out the door for $68 with no deposit. free $7.50 might be worth it, only proof i have is the empty tank. wonder if they will take that?

I don't recall the price, but I've gone to a U-haul place to get a refill, too. It was pretty convenient.

If you go to Uhaul's website you can print off a coupon for $1 off every refill for a year.

It's funny, the first time I went to get the tank filled, I printed the coupon, but I forgot to bring it with me. They gave me the dollar off anyway.

Did the exchange once, couldn't believe how expensive it was.
Did the Gas station & Uhaul for a year, couldn't believe how much time and gas I was spending filling tanks.
Reworked the burners for NG - oh what a relief it was.

Of course now I wanted to brew indoors, so I switched to electric. What's next? Atomic Brewing.

I think electric is the direction I'm going to go eventually. It just seems like it would be more convenient.

I wonder how much of the settlement money goes to the attorneys? Nothing will come of this, a few people will get some money back. Yes all those caged refill places don't sell tanks that are filled to 20# ...nothing new here. In Michigan we already went through this years ago. Blue Rhino now shows small print that Tell's you it isn't 20# but most people just see a tank and assume it's full. Some fine print gets added to a sign, a lawyer makes a profit and the cycle goes on.

Individuals in the suit (like us) are entitled up to $150 compensation with sufficient proof of purchase. Not bad if you were a loyal BR customer who likes to keep receipts.

Looks like the 4 attorney team is entitled to compensation "not to exceed $7,250,000.00." Pretty serious scratch for the legal team, but that's what it costs to take on massive corporate interests in court.

Any remaining settlement money is going to be doled out to charities associated with low income families.

BR around me is 15 at walmart, 18 at lowes and 20 at walgreens, ill have to look into how much a straight up refill costs. Also I like the 100lbs tank idea.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

You can get the tanks refilled anywhere. That is the only reason I hand ever used their services. When your propane tank is needing a hydro testing, simply take it to one of their retail locations and swap for one of theirs. Then refill for cheaper at your favorite propane place. Here in my part on MD. I pay around 15 bucks for a refill.

Word.

My last tank needed "re-certified" and I have no clue how to go about doing that, and I really wasnt interested in spending the time or money to do.

Took it to the gas station and swapped it out for just over 20 bones. Easy peasy

Back