Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is Clarity really that important?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
m3n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I'm fine with chill haze. If I'm in the mood for something clear I'll let it warm up a bit. Most of my beers can still be enjoyed in the 60s.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm fine with cloudy. Clear beer is preferred, but I would never ever ever filter to get there.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
Given that you "eat with your eyes", I think clarity is worth striving for, even if it's nothing more than visual. As far as competitions, it's a factor, but not a huge one as indicated above. But to me there's something that makes a nice clear beer substantially more appealing. Actually achieving crystal clear beer without filtering is another story. Sometimes I can get pretty close, but it's a challenge. But gelatin will work very well for it. I had it get a Kolsch to near filtered clarity.
See, this is where I am.

Clarity is VERY important to me, and I want my beers crystal clear.

Just like when I go into a restaurant, I don't want a big old heap of food slapped onto a plate- I appreciate a dish that looks appetizing. It might taste the same, but I like something that actually looks appealing.

When I drink a beer, I love looking at it. I enjoy the aroma out of the glass, and I love watching the bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass. It's very important to me. I don't even use ceramic mugs for that reason- I like to watch!

But just because it's important to me doesn't mean it has to be important to others!

Sweetwater IPA actually pour clear, if you pour it like a homebrew and decant it off of the sediment. There may be a slight hops haze, but I've never noticed that. Yeast sediment in a bottle conditioned beer is fine- but it should never make the beer murky or cloudy.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

I really prefer clear in most styles except things like hefe or saison but I've had no problem mostly getting clear. In one case where chilling did not clear my final product, gelatin worked great. I use whirfloc in every batch and a good hard boil plus fast chilling is invaluable.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
chicken
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I didn't used to care at all, now lately I do. A beer that is nice and clear is very pleasing, and is another thing I am proud of when I share it. I think it matters more to me these days because I see it as another sign that I'm getting better at brewing, and upping my game.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 781 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
See, this is where I am.

Just like when I go into a restaurant, I don't want a big old heap of food slapped onto a plate- I appreciate a dish that looks appetizing. It might taste the same, but I like something that actually looks appealing.

When I drink a beer, I love looking at it. I enjoy the aroma out of the glass, and I love watching the bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass. It's very important to me. I don't even use ceramic mugs for that reason- I like to watch!

But just because it's important to me doesn't mean it has to be important to others!

My thoughts exactly. My car doesn't drive any better when it's clean; but I want it clean. My shoes do not protect my feet any better when they're polished; but I want them polished.

Is it that difficult to get beer clear? I have not made a lot of batches yet but mine have all come out crystal clear (other than the porter) and I have not done any drastic steps to clear them. I have only cold crashed once and have never filtered. I do throw a whirfloc in my boil at 15 minutes but how hard is that?

EDIT: am I just lucky with my water profile, maybe?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

See, this is where I am.

True and I agree except for certain styles its ok to have a *degree* of cloudiness or not 100% clear but this is subtle. Hefeweizen for example should not be clear. Saisons can be somewhat opaque, etc. But a very cloudy pale ale or IPA is just not appealing. Not to mention a cloudy lager!
On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

My PM beers have been getting clearer since I got my grain mill for a less floury crush. Getting a hard boil the first couple minutes seems to help. Chilling the hot wort down to 75F or so asap is a must as well. Topping off with fridged cold water to get it to 65F or so is important to my process as well. This way,the bottles of beer are crystal clear going into the fridge. And chill haze is minimal because of these early steps.
Having said all that,clear beer is obviously more appealing aesthetically. But I have noticed that some beers taste a little bit better without the yeast,etc clouding the beer. Perhaps from absorbing too many fermentation by products from some fault(s) in the process? This seems the most likely to me.
So I do everything I can to get them as clear as possible. Even using super moss has helped,but still gets good head.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I wouldn't have thought so, but I screwed up what was supposed to be a red DIPA and ended up with something dark and murky and it definitely affected my impression of the beer. Tasting it out of an opaque cup the flavor was what it should have been, but in a clear glass it always tasted off to me. I was disappointed overall with the beer even though the flavor was pretty good.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It's as important as you want it to be.

Clarity generally doesn't affect flavor unless its super yeasty.

I generally try to avoid chill haze. Beyond that, I don't care too much.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply