Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Citra Hops...crazy!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
murppie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Citra Hops...crazy!

So this is kind of strange. I went to brew an Irish Red for the summer because it quenches. I decided to experiment a little bit and toss in some Citra hops at the end of the boil. So the last 15 minutes, I tossed in an ounce of them. Sat in the carbouy for 3 weeks (maybe 4?) Transfered to a keg (my first keg! YES!) and tried a little bit. I could not believe the very strong citrus finish. It was seriously like drinking a beer, and then chasing it with a bite from a grapefruit. Now, I'm not complaining, but it was crazy!! I'll keep you posted on if it changes, but its pretty neat. This could be a good one to make for the ladies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Yepp citra is awesome! Until you use too much and get the cat piss. Ladies dont love that so much...

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Try blending it with Amarillo or Centennial. It's even better mixed with other hops. Citra and Amarillo together are fantastic

Old 06-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

I don't get citrus at all from citra- I get tropical fruit. I mean, it screams MANGO! to me so I'm not a fan. The last all citra beer I did tasted like Juicy Fruit gum.

Right now I'm drinking an all-chinook beer with .5 ounce citra in the dryhopping. It's better, and I like it. I think it needs to be balanced with a citrusy or piney hop to not taste so darn fruity.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 812 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Just ride this one out. I made an all-Citra beer a while back and the flavor changed really dramatically over the course of two months. It started out all mango, juicyfruit, etc., then morphed into mango and fruit mixed with cumin, peppery, musty, and all sorts of weird stuff, and then at the two month mark, everything mellowed out into this wonderful unique flavor and stabilized that way. Cheers!

Old 06-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I don't get citrus at all from citra- I get tropical fruit. I mean, it screams MANGO! to me so I'm not a fan. The last all citra beer I did tasted like Juicy Fruit gum.

Right now I'm drinking an all-chinook beer with .5 ounce citra in the dryhopping. It's better, and I like it. I think it needs to be balanced with a citrusy or piney hop to not taste so darn fruity.
I don't think I've ever tasted an all Chinook beer. I tasted an IPA at a Brewfest 2 weeks ago and he threw in some Chinook for flavor and aroma additions. It was an Amarillo and some other hop combo. It was funky and really good.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
Grinnan5150
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

Three Floyd's Zombie Dust is all Citra and it is freaking awesome. I am attempting a clone tomorrow...hopefully I don't ass it up.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I made the zombie dust clone and for the first 3 weeks in the keg it tasted like straight mango juice. Once it finally mellowed it was very nice. Was kind of cool drinking a beer that tasted like mangos too though. Everyone thought I added fruit to it.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Citra and Amarillo together are fantastic
I second this. I'm drinking a Citra Amarillo IPA right now with both in the boil at various points, and dry hopped with each, and it's seriously one of the best beers I've ever made. Really rockin' combination.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnan5150 View Post
Three Floyd's Zombie Dust is all Citra and it is freaking awesome. I am attempting a clone tomorrow...hopefully I don't ass it up.
Yes, I'm waiting my keg to carb of Zombie Dust and have to admit I take samples, 100% Citra and its definatelly more tropical than citrus. Love it

Quick Reply