Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Citra and Galaxy hops, has anyone brewed with both?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
PissyFingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Citra and Galaxy hops, has anyone brewed with both?

Just wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with both of these hops, i have Galaxy and love it. I was thinking about ordering some citra, is the flavour aroma similar, is there a huge difference between the two?

Sorry for the noob question

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I've brewed with Citra already, but haven't used Galaxy. I liked Citra.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts

I have, I am carbing it now. I did 4oz cascade at 60, 1oz citra/1oz galaxy at 15, same at 5, same at flame out. Will let you know how it taste next week. A buddy I returning from afghanastan and I am bringing a keg to his welcome home party.

My hop stopper

Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
PissyFingers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
I have, I am carbing it now. I did 4oz cascade at 60, 1oz citra/1oz galaxy at 15, same at 5, same at flame out. Will let you know how it taste next week. A buddy I returning from afghanastan and I am bringing a keg to his welcome home party.
Nice, what did you think of the hop aroma of the pellets, were they a like
smell wise??

Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts

My galaxy were a tad old, but I got more of an earthy smell from them. Almost like a noble hop. They where given to me from someone and I have no idea how they keep them.

My hop stopper

Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

To me Citra comes off more on the grapefruit end of the scale. Galaxy is definitely more tropical citrus, like passion fruit/pineapple.

I brewed an all citra summer wheat that is really, really good. I am currently fermenting the same recipe, all galaxy to compare. I will say the citra seemed to be considerably stronger in the aroma department than the galaxy when measuring out the pellets at brewing.

jdooley Likes This 
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

No need to mix them both. They're quite similar give or take a few minor things, though I prefer Citra. It's melony, sweet, juicy, and tropical - lychee fruit would be the most accurate. You can smell the dryhops in the carboy from 5 feet away. This is partly due to the higher myrcene content from Citra (63%) vs. Galaxy (37%). Though both have the same "total" oil content; therefore Galaxy has more of those grassy Noble characteristics to balance things out.

I think good compliments for each of the hops you referenced would be better served by Amarillo, which would add a nice fruity and floral grapefruit character.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
KoolAidKid
Recipes 

The last CDA I did, I used Amarillo (awesome) as my dry hop. This time around I'm using Galaxy, so I guess I'll have to let you know how it turns out in about a week. As for Citra, I think one or the other would be fine since Galaxy seems to be pretty similar.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
No need to mix them both. They're quite similar give or take a few minor things, though I prefer Citra. It's melony, sweet, juicy, and tropical - lychee fruit would be the most accurate. You can smell the dryhops in the carboy from 5 feet away. This is partly due to the higher myrcene content from Citra (63%) vs. Galaxy (37%). Though both have the same "total" oil content; therefore Galaxy has more of those grassy Noble characteristics to balance things out.

I think good compliments for each of the hops you referenced would be better served by Amarillo, which would add a nice fruity and floral grapefruit character.
This +1

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
jdooley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

I have used both. Both are good, but I like Galaxy better. If you use Galaxy, only use it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. It is a bit harsh as a bittering hop, and you won't experience the great flavour and aroma of the late additions if you also bitter with it. So, either go all late additions (no bittering addition), or use something else for bittering (I have used POR in small quantities).

Quick Reply