HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Citra APA can I get rid of cat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #21
MickeyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made a pale ale using Citra for bittering (1 oz. 60 min), 1 oz. Amarillo at 15, and dry hopped with 1 oz. cascade. No Cat piss aroma. It was quite pleasant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #22
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Maybe you should take your cat out of the glass before you pour a beer

Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #23
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I get that from Simcoe but never used Citra. I got quite a bit of it in Terrapin's Hoptaneous Combustion (on tap). I think some are more sensitive to it than others. You can also get that aroma in some Sauvignon Blancs (and maybe others).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #24
shuffman
Recipes 

Default Citra CAN smell like cat pee

I just finished a Citra single-hop IPA - my first experience with Citra. The aroma is so amazing that when I finished the glass, I smelled it one last time, and at that moment the empty glass smelled A LOT like cat pee.

That said, I'm still inclined to brew with this variety. While there was beer in the glass, the aroma was citrus/tropical fruit with maybe a little pine. I just won't smell the glass when I'm done.http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/buck.gif

Steve H

Old 04-22-2011, 03:07 AM   #25
arondee
Recipes 

Citra seems to lose the huge pungent aroma after about a month. It's still strong but not punch you in the face strong. I'm drinking a double ipa right now I made with Citra and Amarillo hops. I used Citra for late additions and dry hopping and at first the smell freaked me out. It has faded a little and in my opinion smells a lot like pineapple now after it hit two months old. I think it has a pretty polarizing smell, you either love it or hate it but everyone that's tried my double raves about the aroma.

Primary: Amarillo Two Hearted IPA
Kegged: Citrillo IPA, Brandon O's Graff

Last edited by arondee; 04-22-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #26
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sierra nevadas brewer made the statement " it's like simcoe on steroids" when asked about it's cattiness. I've used it at 30 mins and haven't had a problem.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #27
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post

Maybe you should take your cat out of the glass before you pour a beer
I was wondering why my hefeweizen tasted funny!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
sablesurfer

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Necro-thread...
Any other discussions about Citra and the ammonia smells? Two IPA's from same wort. 5 hop additions...60, 30, 15, 2, dry hop. Both had a base of cascade for every addition.

One was El Dorado as second hop, that one is fruity and very mild bitters going into bottles

The other was Citra as second hop, that is is MASSIVE ammonia cat pee aromas tasting out of the bottling bucket. Taste is a bit ammonia too, but WOW is it a harsh American kinda hop bitter. (Have to compare the cohumulones on these two.)

Anyway, not sure if anyone has figured out if the ammonia comes from a specific addition or not.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
jnr1005
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Never had it with Citra, but I tried a Sneaky Pete (Simco) one time and whew...I thought my damn cat had pissed in the beer. It dissapated after a few minutes, but now I know why Pete was being sneaky...but it should have been a cat on the beer, not a dog

Brewing:
Secondary: Golden Draak Similar, 4 gallons of Cider...and 4 empty buckets!!!!!
Kegged: Lagunitas Brown Shugga, Mojave Red & Zombie Dust
Bottled: Bad Santa, Pumpking, Lagunitas Maximus, Amber Ale
Kicked: Amber Ale, Oktoberfast, De Trubble wit de Dubble, Lagunitas Maximus

Old 11-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
natural320
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just got a few ounces of Citra myself, and I was super excited to brew with them. made a basic IPA with Columbus bittering, Citra at 15 and 7 minutes, and a dash of Cascade at 10 (what I thought I needed to balance out all the tropical fruit). also dry hopped with Citra and another dash of Cascade...

all cat pee. I couldn't believe it on bottling day. SUPER bummed out. tried a bottle last night (just about 3 weeks from brew day) and the cattyness was pretty much fading away, but I wasn't getting anything in the way of tropical fruit yet. may as well had just used CTZ and Cascade for the way it tastes now. I am holding out hope that it will evolve soon, but so far I am disappointed in how my pack o' Citra hops is.

oh, FWIW, the cat smell is evident as soon as I open the vacuum sealed bag. is that typical?

Quick Reply