Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cider type flavor, but only after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Matthewjscott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cider type flavor, but only after bottling

I have brewed a cream ale and American wheat. Both of which taste fine while in the keg, but have a cider taste after bottling from keg. I know it is not the usual explanation of slacking in sanitation because of my OCD type cleanliness when kegging and bottling. I am wondering if it could be from fermenting at higher ranges (up to 72F). I have another thought/question. Does the PH of the mash also effect the beer with a cider taste? The reason I ask is that I have never had this problem with darker beers and did not know if the PH had that effect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Ok, lets get this straight, #1, all done fermenting, carb'd up, pour it into a glass from the keg and it tastes fine...#2, pour carbonated beer into a bottle from the keg, then cap it off. Open it up later and have green apple taste?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Matthewjscott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not really a green apple taste. Originally, I thought it was just esters, but it mainly happens when the beer goes past four weeks of aging. It has the same type of off flavor for both of the last two batches of "lighter" beer that I made

Quick Reply