Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Christmas/Holiday Beer Recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
KlauBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Christmas/Holiday Beer Recipes?

Can anyone recommend some good christmas or holiday beer recipes?

Much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

All grain or extract? But if you're looking for something done for x-mas this year, you're really about a month too late. Most holiday beers are strong beers, and would require months to come into their own. If you're looking towards next year, how about a barleywine? It will be nice and ready by next Christmas.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
KlauBrau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was looking for a basic extract recipe for this Christmas as a gift, it does not necessarily need to be ready for the 25th (I could always give instructions to wait before opening)

We're doing smaller gifts this year in the fam because of hurricane sandy. They all love homebrews and I feel six packs would be perfect.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
KlauBrau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a very new brewer, I'm hesitant o try anything too crazy. My equipment is quite limited at this point, what would be involved with a barley wine? Though Im definitely open for ideas for Christmas 13. My patience will be tested waiting 12months!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Yeah I hear you, I usually do some sort of fermentable beverage like a year old apfelwine along with my Jamaican Banana Bread made with homebrew Banana wine and rum as x-mas gifts myself.

And I too have done the "Don't open til........" labels as well. I even have special hanging labels for gift bottles here.

There really are two types of holiday beers, heavy ones like barleywines and winter warmers. Thick heavy beers that take awile to brew, the other category is a spiced white (wit) beer. A wheat based beer, usually done with beligian yeast and spiced with all sorts of spices.

Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, ginger. citrus peel....even some of the "odder" spices work well in those blends, like cardamom or coriander.

Also dark fruits are common, figs, dates, plums, also pumpkin, sweet potato, cranberries....Heck even organic mince meat might be interesting (Just make sure it doesn't contain suet or fat.)

Think about the desserts and foods available at this time of year, and those are the flavors that you can work into a good base beer.

You basically need to find a nice simple wit or belgian blonde base and then flavor it with the afore mentioned spices

If you look at my pulldown, I have a Leffe Blonde clone that you could possibly use as a base with lets say a dark fruit like figs, and some spices. Or you could look for one of the hoegaarden clones on here or online (or blue moon of any wit beer, I think Biermuncher has one called blue balls that might work) and spice it with orange peel, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nuthmed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could try BierMuncher's Centennial Blond Or Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale

You should be able to turn those around by Christmas.

I know those are not really Holiday beers, just trying to help.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Umm Maybe not. I forget about bottling. Sorry

Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Yep..that's the biggest issue, even if you brewed and bottled in a week (which would make for sucky beer) the three weeks minimum it takes to carb, slows the process down.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
Max232
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed a batch of Better not pout stout last month and it's gonna be just right for Christmas

http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/a...not-pout-stout

Quick Reply