The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chocolate wheat beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
jesus16x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chocolate wheat beer?

My latest experiment is nothing like I imagined, its delicious, but not what I had in mind.

I was attempting a chocolate wheat beer.
10lbs red wheat
1lb chocolate malt
1lb caramel malt
1 oz Saaz
1 oz nettenang
1 packet of saf 3

This is my first recipe I've tried to create, as well as my first all grain brew. I prefer to do everything old school mostly and not take many readings or fancy equipment so I just have the minimal equipment. I used a blender to crush the grains, and mashed for about 2 hours ranging from 160 degrees to 140 degrees in a 7 gallon brew pot. Strained the grains into a bucket, rinsed them with hot water( as hot as the tap was) then boiled 10 minutes Saaz and 10 minutes tettenang. Fermented in the primary for two weeks, air lock bubbled for 4 days then slowed, no movement in the air lock for 6 days do I bottled it today.

It's delicious but not what I had in mind, it's more like a stout, robust and earthy.

Anyway, I can't really call this a chocolate wheat beer, so is it a wheat stout?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

there is no roasted barley in your recipe so it looks more like a porter to me.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
jesus16x
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00
there is no roasted barley in your recipe so it looks more like a porter to me.
The chocolate malt is roasted, it's black, but it could be a porter as well I guess. It's not sweet enough for a porter in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Chris1272
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

looks to me you created a dunkelweizen. did I read that right you only had a 20 min boil?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Soma
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Generally what separates a stout from a porter is the use of roasted barley, but it's all semantics anyways. Call it whatever you want, sounds tasty!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
jesus16x
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1272
looks to me you created a dunkelweizen. did I read that right you only had a 20 min boil?
Yes, 20 min boil

Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
jesus16x
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Generally what separates a stout from a porter is the use of roasted barley, but it's all semantics anyways. Call it whatever you want, sounds tasty!
I was hoping a sweeter brew, but it's really tasty anyway. I have a schlafly extra stout and a schlafly cocoa porter to compare it with

Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
jesus16x
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus16x

Yes, 20 min boil
The 20 min boil was to keep out the hop bitterness but yet get some balance the brew.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Chris1272
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You should really boil for an hour at least. I wont bore you with the chemistry of why but if you want to have a lower hop profile then I would suggest just use less hops ie you don't have to use the whole package. just put the left overs in the freezer and save for another beer. or do that hour boil and put the hops in in the last 10 to 20 min of the boil. But the only real advice I can offer on your approach is to find a cooler of some sort to do your mash in. controlling the temp of the mash will help you control the level of sweetness and unfermentables in your finished beer.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
jesus16x
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1272
You should really boil for an hour at least. I wont bore you with the chemistry of why but if you want to have a lower hop profile then I would suggest just use less hops ie you don't have to use the whole package. just put the left overs in the freezer and save for another beer. or do that hour boil and put the hops in in the last 10 to 20 min of the boil. But the only real advice I can offer on your approach is to find a cooler of some sort to do your mash in. controlling the temp of the mash will help you control the level of sweetness and unfermentables in your finished beer.
It's the first of many all grain brews I'm sure, thanks for the tips, I'm looking into a brew pot with a false bottom and thermometer on it, it's expensive though. I really enjoy the old school methods I've been using

Quick Reply