Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chocolate Stout Recipe Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
mbaker33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Chocolate Stout Recipe Question

Hey guys,

I am getting ready to transfer a chocolate stout to secondary, after I just kegged my IPA to free up said secondary... Life is good when you have a pipeline...

Anyway, I have 2 oz of pure chocolate extract to throw in at either secondary or keg time. Wanted to field some input before I transfer to secondary in the next 30 minutes or so.

Any input would be appreciated. Also, the recipe calls for 1.5 oz of extract, but I have 2 oz, how much stronger would you think that would make the chocolate flavor?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hard to say. Is the chocolate extract the only source of chocolate flavor in your beer? Did you use any chocolate malt?

At any rate, I would start with the 1.5 oz. Then taste it. If it isn't sweet enough for you, keeping in mind that, in my mind, uncarbonated beer tends to taste slightly sweeter than carbonated beer, then add the next .5 oz.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply