Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chocolate Milk Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
BigRob90
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Chocolate Milk Stout

Brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout from Northern Brewer the otherday. This was the first time I used actual grains and hops, I've only done straight extract kits until this weekend. It smelt AMAZING too.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have tried a Chocolate Milk Stout or a chocolate beer in general? Did it turn out ok? How did you bring out the chocolate flavor? I got some coco nibbs to put in the secondary but was curious if there are other ways to get that flavor?

Also any clever names for this beer would be appreciated . I get a kick out of coming up with clever names for beer, even ones I haven't brewed yet but I'm having a hard time with this one.

Cheers!

Rob

cms.jpg  

"Ideally, brewers interpret history and through science they create art."
-Don "Big Daddy" Spencer, Silver City Brewery.

Last edited by BigRob90; 01-30-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
stikks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just made a vanilla chocolate porter and used 4 oz of organic cocoa powder mixed with 4 oz of corn sugar dissolved and added it to the boil the last 10 minutes.Made this 6 weeks ago and cracked one yesterday.The chocolate came though very nicely in the finished beer.not to overpowering.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
ajbram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think that just about anything that adds a bit of residual sweetness will really help the chocolate character come through. My recent porter had no actual chocolate, but did use 8oz.chocolate malt. It also had 10oz. of blackstrap molasses. The finished product had loads of chocolate on the nose and a fair bit of chocolate throughout the taste as well. Any kind of unfermentable sugar will help bring the chocolate flavour forward.

As for names: Hershey Heiffer Chocolate Milk Stout.

Quick Reply