Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutattheDevil View Post
It might be a good idea with all that heat, to warm the pumpkin in a sauté pan and add spices to the pumpkin before adding it to the boil. This will help even the heat and still allow the fall spices to come through, in addition to what your adding to your kettle.
I don't think you want to boil the spices for that long.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
Stoutman82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz

I don't think you want to boil the spices for that long.
Yeah you'll get more flavor adding them to the secondary in my opinion
JEBrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
Szimdars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am looking for less heat so I think I may avoid the extra chilis, but theat could be a future variation if you want to go that route. I feel as though some smoked malts with the addition of chipotles should do very well.

Also giving it some thought, I will likely use ~2/3 cup of bourbon to soak/sanitiza my chilis and spices and toss the whole kittenkiboodle in, liquor and all into my secondary.

I will certainly keep everyone posted, and give a cleaned up play by play after I organize all of my feedback; I plan on brewing 8/22-ish.

****Further Question is Libby's the preferred brand of pumpkin pulp? and if unavailable what dop you look for to avoid contamination of preservatives from the canning process etc?

****If using pulp and not pumpkin from scratch, does the procedure change? I assume there is a volume adjustment but how do you filter out the 'nasties' from the boiled grainy pumpkin flesh? I am imagining thickness like pulpy orange juice, and though I like cloudy beer I don't like chewable beer. ..... Thoughts?

Reason: TYPO

Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #24
Stoutman82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So any word yet on how this went!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #25
Szimdars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to everyone subscribed, took a while to get everything in order to move on this. There ended up being variations once again, hashing out practicalities of everything but brewed this yesterday and it already smells, looks, and tastes awesome.The pumpkin spice porter which went into the primary tastes like pumpkin pie and is black, the foam which formed is burnt orange and it is incredibly aromatic.

Anywho, so I made my own pumpkin pie spice with ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg 2.5 heaping tablespoons in the boil following a schedule of 1-60m, 1-30m, .5-5min. I used 45 oz of pure organic pumpkin puree (in lieu of Libby's and purchased from central market).

We plan to keep this in the primary for 7 days, and rack to the primary for 14 days, the age in bottles for quite some time; tentative sampling date of halloween and probably drink some for thanksgiving and christmas and stock the rest for next year.

For the 5.25GAL batch, I have 14oz of Jim Beam kentucky Straight Bourbon steeping 8oz of hickory smoking chips, two cinnamon sticks and 3 ancho chilis; all but the chips (including the liquor will go into the secondary)

The OG is 1.056.

So here we go, I'll get pix when the time comes and possibly get the recipe on here too.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
Szimdars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This has turned out to be DELICIOUS and a favorite from everyone. Thanks for the imput!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
SplendidWalrusZombie
Recipes 

Hello All - Under a new alias since I lost my password and let that other email address go by the wayside but I wanted to revive this thread and update for 2012.

So taste notes on the 2011 Gourd Almighty - Ancho-Smoked Pumpkin Pie Porter after drinking my final bottle of reserve the other day:
- The maltiness and body has subsided through aging to become a bit dry and thin, not great for style
- Flavor is even better: pumpkin is still a *bit* muted for my tastes but for more prevelant than it originally was
- The heat is there on the back palate but barely, rather there was a pleasant smoky peppery flavor at the end and dissolves into lingering ginger and pumpkin
- The pie spice though balanced seemed to linger with dryness - I can only attribute this to ground spice and no crash chilling to remove it all, biggest complaint.
- Everyone else seemed far less critical and really enjoyed it.

That being said I have already got my 2012 AG version in the primary fermenter and am posting a thread about that below and I believe ai have nailed the issues to hone it in a bit better. Please feel free to jump in there as well though it may be too late for my personal adjustments, I think I can give a vote of confidence to all who were interested and say that - Yes, the flavors overall played very well together. This time I will make sure to get pics beginning secondary transfer, etc.... PROSIT!

New Thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/anch...0/#post4483366

Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
Stoutman82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This year I doubled the pumpkin and dialed back the spices some but I'm interested to hear how yours turns out

Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
SplendidWalrusZombie
Recipes 

It was pretty awesome. This year I actually upped the spices but only as a secondary addition. I have also added lactose and more pumpkin so it should have much more depth.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
rsvlbrwr
Recipes 

Default How was the final version?

In reading some threads about brewing with ancho chilies, I can across yours re: Spiced Pumkin Porter. How did the final recipe you posted back on 8/10/11 come out (if you can remember back that far)? Any chages since then? Thanks

Quick Reply