Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Szimdars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter?

So I am fairly green behind the ears when it comes to brewing, but I have a strong culinary background and am on my 6th batch of homebrew currently. Though not perfect all results have been pretty great. Mostly using recipes although my first was a completely made up porter recipe, bred from mistake and inexperience - Smoked Chocolate Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. It was pretty darn good as it turned out.

***So the skinny of it all and my request for help is as follows:

With October coming around the corner, I want a good spiced pumpkin porter and a good Cider. The latter seems pretty simplistic but my imagination has gotten the best of me and resonates of some pies I've made. I want to make a Double Chocolate Spiced Pumpkin Porter with a hint of Ancho for some smoky heat finish. I am not well versed or practiced enough to know about amounts, timing, etc, and though I am certain there is no tried and true base recipe for this I wanted to see about getting some feedback from those with a bit more brewing experience.

I am doing 5 gal batches with extract, steeping the specialty grains.

Feel free to edit my guestimations PLEASE!

1# Light LME
5# Dark LME

0.5# Crystal
0.5# Chocolate Malt
0.5# British Pale Chocolate
0.25# black/dark malt
0.125# roasted barley
0.125# Smoked Malt
1/2# Brown Sugar

1oz Magnum Hops 60 min
1/2oz Goldings 10min
1/2oz Tehnanger 2-3min

White Labs California Ale yeast WLP001

3-4# pumpkin roasted quartered/peeled
6-8oz cocoa nibs
2 medium anchos
1 cinnamon stick
1 TBSP of pumpkin pie spice.

I am assuming steep pumpkin in seperate grain bag with specialty grains and keep in with boil. Add 1/2 cocoa to boil with pie spice and 1/2 of one ancho. Rack the cinnastick, remaining anchos and cocoa into secondary.

BTW these value are from recipes I have seen and the one's I referenced to create my last porter and are by no means solid but seem like a decent direction. I also was curious about Oatmeal for a better mouthfeel and perhaps vanilla... maybe even bourbon?

Thoughts???

Any feed back would be great - I wanna brew this in 2-3 weeks to drink between halloween and thanksgiving!

Cheers!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
KFH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are you planning on using dried chilis for this? If so, then just two isn't going to cut it. I made a chocolate pepper porter a while back and used three dried ancho chilis, and the heat is barely noticeable until it gets to the back of your tongue, and even then it's quite mild.

Infernal Brewing

Szimdars Likes This 
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Stoutman82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it was me I'd add mo chilli to it maybe ancho or jalapeño but ancho will give it more of a smoky flavor but I can tell you from experience that you are going to need more then 2 in a 5 gallon brew I got very little flavor our of 6 added to a brew I also suggest maybe grilling them to get more of the smoky taste.

Szimdars Likes This 
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Szimdars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am using dried anchos, or at least plan on it. I want something similar to the flavor of a mexican hot chocolate with pumpkin spice for the holiday. I certainly don't want fire but I don't expect that from anchos anyway. If I were to go with 6 how do you split them between boil and racking? or do you?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
KFH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szimdars View Post
Dried anchos, yes. That's good feedback. I certainly don't want a spicy beer. I want more smoke and flavor, should I go 4 but all in the secondary?
If you're looking for smoke and flavor, maybe a mix of ancho and chipotle? You'd get a bit more heat (but not overpoweringly so) and a lot more smoke and flavor.

For my recipe, I'm looking more for heat than flavor from the chilis, so I'll be trying a mix of serrano and ancho chilis next time.

Infernal Brewing

Stoutman82 Likes This 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Stoutman82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh that sounds great mixing chipotle and ancho chill is (ok after 5 retypes you win iPad) one thing like to do when grilling peppers is grill them inside of themselves I.e. Stuff a ancho full of jalapeño or haenaro then grill it.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Szimdars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any words of wisdom toward the hops schedule or pumpkin and spice?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
TopherM21
Recipes 

Looking at your recipe, it seems there's a lot going on and a few bits are a little heavy handed (ex. cacao).

IMHO, I'd use a bittering hop addition only and (ditch the two late additions) so that the flavors you're trying to feature come through.

I also wonder how the pumpkin pie spice will play with everything else.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Stoutman82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szimdars
Any words of wisdom toward the hops schedule or pumpkin and spice?
Maybe include a more florally hop like hallertau or saaz, another then that I like the sound of this only thing i might change is adding some clove but be cautious as clove can vey easily way overpower a beer.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
Szimdars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I've looked at this advice and looked through what some others are doing and also reassessed the spice use and freshness. Here is what I am going to roll with, I think...

1# Light LME
5# Dark LME

1/2 # crystal
1/2# Chocolate Malt
1/2# British Pale Chocolate
1/4# Black malt
1/4# Smoked Malt

1oz Hallertau Hops 60 minutes
1/2oz Magnum Hops 60 minutes

White Labs California Ale yeast

*steeped and carried through boil
3-4# pumpkin roasted/quartered/peeled