Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chipotle Peppers in Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Thedagem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chipotle Peppers in Beer

Here's a recipe for an IPA that I'm going to brew in the very near future.

23 pounds 12 oz of 2 Row
1 pound 8 oz of Carapils
1 pound 8 oz of Crystal 20L
1 pound Munich 10L

1.75 oz Chinook 30 min
2.5 oz Cascade 30 min
2.5 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Willamette 15 min
1.75 oz Willamette 5 min

Dry Hop 4 oz Cascade in secondary

90 minute boil, mash out at 154, and I've got some Rogue Pacman yeast I plan to use.

Beersmith 2 says I'll be at
67.4 IBUs
6.8 SRM
7.1 ABV

Here's the question I have. This is going to make 10 gallons of beer. I'll put them in 2 different 5 gallon carboys. This beer should be delicious on its own and I plan to enjoy it that way. But I wanted to add some chipotles to the primary of one of these. I like rogue's chipotle ale and figured this would be a fairly tasty recipe to try to add some heat to. My question is how do you make sure they're sterile? Same with the hops, I mean, you boil everything else, that kills off all the nasties. How do you make sure you don't infect your batch with mold by adding these things in your fermenters?

So I want to put 2 maybe 3 chipotles in one primary, I guess I'll cut it up and seed it. Then rack off after a week keep in secondary for 3 weeks and then bottle. 2 weeks after that I hope to be enjoying a delicious beverage. I keep all my carboys at a constant 60 degrees. I hope this was enough info for you guys. If anyone has any suggestions for the chipotle experiment, let me know. I've never dry hopped before, and want to do it right. I'd hate to infect some perfectly good beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
woody1013
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do mine in the boil but I have also made a "tea" by boiling the peppers in a small amount of water and mascerating them. The tea is a great way to add flavor once the beer in in the fermenter. I'm about to repeat my chipolte amber. It was an absolute hit. Good luck! Cheers!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you are planning on racking into secondary, then why not just add them after you have hit your FG and rack on top of them..... I say you stand a much higher risk of getting an infected batch by tossing peppers into a carboy of unfermented wort. That's just my though.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I briefly soaked mine in vodka before "dry-peppering" with them.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I briefly soaked mine in vodka before "dry-peppering" with them.
+1 although briefly for me is about 1 week

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is
than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Hoosier-Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not sure how well it works in the primary, but I am making a jalapeno blonde right now and will be dry peppering it in the secondary for 3-4 days. I had this beer from a local club and it was great and they do it in the secondary. He told me to first lightly char the pepper over an open flame for a slight smokey flavor and them make 3-4 slits in 1-2 fresh peppers. Toss them into the secondary and taste after 2-4 days either removing the peppers or racking the beer off when the flavor is to your liking. This lets you control the flavor and heat. If you do it in the primary you have less control.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
BrewMan13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've brewed with chipotles 3 ways: a vodka tincture (miscalculated; came out way too hot), straight peppers in primary (got infected once, way too hot the other time) and ground up as a powder during the boil. The last technique was my favorite as it was easy to control and there was no risk of infection.

Ales From The Crypt Brewing
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Pumpkin Ale
Fermenting: Smoked pepper porter
On Deck:

Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1013 View Post
I do mine in the boil but I have also made a "tea" by boiling the peppers in a small amount of water and mascerating them. The tea is a great way to add flavor once the beer in in the fermenter. I'm about to repeat my chipolte amber. It was an absolute hit. Good luck! Cheers!
My Momma say I go blind if I mascerate.

I currently have a chili bowl beer fermenting that I Added some chipotle to the boil. Once it finishes, we wil see how hot, and can adjust heat with the tea technique; thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMan13 View Post
I've brewed with chipotles 3 ways: a vodka tincture (miscalculated; came out way too hot)
The tincture method is the best, as you can add small amounts and then taste the beer to see how much flavor has been added. Did you just toss the whole thing in?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
+1 although briefly for me is about 1 week
Was about half a day for me. The purpose of the vodka in my case was sanitation rather than creating a tincture.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply