Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chilling wort in hot weather.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
HH60gunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Chilling wort in hot weather.

I'm from Arizona so temps can get pretty hot. What is the most effective way to cool down to pitching temps for someone like me? Plate? Immersion? Plate+Pre-chiller?

I haven't purchased any cooling devices yet. In the past I would just put my whole keg in a large bucket of water, with a hose in the bucket of water circulating new water. It did the trick but was a pain in the ass, wasted water, and won't work once I add a ball valve to my keg.

The nice thing about being accepting the contractor job here in afghanistan is that I can now afford all the toys I couldn't before.

During the summer time the tap water from my house can easily be 80*. What do you guys think I should purchase to cool down to correct pitching temps without buying a ton of ice.

I was thinking about maybe using a plate chiller to cool it down in one pass using normal tap water. Than transferring it from that container, to my fermenter using a plate chiller combined with a pre-chiller. That way I'm not burning through ice like crazy. What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Can you refrigerate tap water night before cooling? Use that water and ice with a recirculating immersion cooler. Just a thought.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use a 50 foot immersion chiller plus a 25 foot pre-chiller. I don't add the ice to the prechiller until the beer chills to about 100.

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Use a large plate chiller (I have a 40 plate from Rebel Brewer, their ChillHog 4000 model with RebelSmart added) to get it as close to the water temp as possible. If you can chill the water lower, then that will help. Once you have the wort chilled as low as you can with the plate chiller, have a fermentation chamber to get it the rest of the way. Let it rest there overnight, and then pitch the yeast.

With a plate chiller, you want to get it as low as possible in one pass. Adjusting the flow on the kettle and plate chiller out should let you do that. I've found that if I run the chill water pretty much full open, open the kettle all the way, or about 3/4 open, and regulate the chiller out flow, I can easily get the wort to about 60F without issue. I watch the temperature, and adjust it, so that my wort out temp is between 65F and 70F.

IF you have a fermentation chamber, (converted chest freezer) you could put buckets of water in that a few days ahead, and get them to about 40-50F and chill with that, via a pump. How much water you need will be determined by the batch size...

You might want to also think about using the method Mr. Malty does (whirlpool chilling with a bucket and pump) as shown here: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php Personally, I don't need to go that route since ground water in my part of the country is pretty much always cool enough to get the wort to the temp's I want it to be. At least where I'm brewing it is.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
Metallion66
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I brew in Phoenix. And what I do is for the 2-3 gallons I need to fill in the fermenting bucket, I just use Ice instead. if you live in the valley you more than likely are using RO water to brew. Ice from Water and Ice places are RO as well.

Dumping the ice directly in the bucket usually gets my wert down to the low 70's in about 15 minutes.

I'll more than likely invest in a wert chiller sometime soon though. Particular because if I use a carboy from the get go I can't really put ice in there.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
twanger1994
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you got the money for toys. Get yourself a glycol system. If you got a lot for toys. Get me one too....

see a few DIY systems. I may move to NC and it will be a requirement there Almost like AZ.. as a matter of fact even in jersey id like one

Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Use a large plate chiller to get it as close to the water temp as possible. If you can chill the water lower, then that will help. Once you have the wort chilled as low as you can with the plate chiller, have a fermentation chamber to get it the rest of the way. Let it rest there overnight, and then pitch the yeast.
+1

This is what I've been doing except that I find I need to recirculate thru the plate chiller for a few mins before I get it anywhere near the temp of my ground water.

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

~ 40# of ice in an ice water bath in the sink with frequent stirring (wort and sink) works for me. 10 gal down to pitching temp in <30 min.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
KFH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use regular tap water to cool the wort down with an IC until about 100 or so, then switch to a little pond pump in ice water to get it down to pitching temps. I'm planning on getting a pre-chiller in the near future.

Infernal Brewing

Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
MJDore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfh
i use regular tap water to cool the wort down with an ic until about 100 or so, then switch to a little pond pump in ice water to get it down to pitching temps. I'm planning on getting a pre-chiller in the near future.
+1

Quick Reply