Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chicken Stock/Flavoring

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #11
Mumbly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolff
Okay, sounds crazy, but I have this crazy idea to do a Chicken and Waffle Ale (Chicken and Waffale). The waffle part will be easy to do, it is the chicken flavoring I cannot figure out. Chicken Stock/bullion. I know of the old recipe for cock ale using an actual whole chicken, not interested in that. Anyone out there try something crazy like this or have an idea what might work?
At work we got notice that next year we will be getting the new flavor's of frito lays, garlic cheese bread, chicken and waffles, and something else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I was thinking bouillon in the priming solution.Just not sure how good it would work,it may have some fat in it.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
I was thinking bouillon in the priming solution.Just not sure how good it would work,it may have some fat in it.
That's why I posted about freeze filtration. You defat whatever you put through the process.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly View Post
At work we got notice that next year we will be getting the new flavor's of frito lays, garlic cheese bread, chicken and waffles, and something else.
Hopefully that "something else" is the flavor I created. They are having a million dollar chip flavor contest.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1775 Times on 1231 Posts
Likes Given: 3018

I love this idea. Not sure if I would love the finished product but I just might.

If freeze filtration hadnt been mentioned I was going to suggest putting your stock in the fridge, and skimming off the hardened fat with a spoon (you could use it for schmaltz later on).

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I love this idea. Not sure if I would love the finished product but I just might.

If freeze filtration hadnt been mentioned I was going to suggest putting your stock in the fridge, and skimming off the hardened fat with a spoon (you could use it for schmaltz later on).
I have some beautiful schmaltz in my freezer from all those chickens I help butcher last summer. I don't know what to do with it though.

My understanding of the freeze filtration process is that it takes it to the next level, it gets all the fat and solids out of things, even more so than just skimming. I've skimmed before but when I did it with the chicken stock I made after the butchering it left solids behind that I didn't even understand what I was seeing. I'm assuming it was proteins and such, much like our hot and cold breaks when we brew.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not to threadjack, but might I suggest making chopped liver with the schmaltz, or simply putting it in a bottle with a spout and using it in lieu of butter or olive oil in chicken dishes that require sautee'd miropoix?

Back on topic, if you made stock as opposed to broth (made with bones as opposed to meat only) you will likely have to contend with gelatin on the solids side. For this reason I would stear the OP away from commercial boullion.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
...r simply putting it in a bottle with a spout and using it in lieu of butter or olive oil in chicken dishes that require sautee'd miropoix?
Do I need to render it down to do that? Sounds like a good idea to put it to use. Pm me if you don't want to answer in here.

Quote:
Back on topic, if you made stock as opposed to broth (made with bones as opposed to meat only) you will likely have to contend with gelatin on the solids side. For this reason I would stear the OP away from commercial boullion.
Yeah, I definitely would NOT use anything commercial. I would boil down my own stock or broth. If the OP's not like me, and I presume you, and doesn't have things like frozen chicken carcases, root vegetable scraps and smaltz in their freezer, what I would do is go to the grocery store and simply get one of those 5 dollar already roasted chickens, chuck the whole bird as is into a big pot, fill it to cover with cold water, and simmer that for an hour or so. Then maybe pull out the carcass, strain everything, then boil the chicken water down by half, then put it in a ziplock baggy in my freezer to solidfy it in a slab, then do the ice filtration.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Definitely need to render down, my prefered method is in a frying pan on low with a wee bit of salt.

I like the rotisserie chicken idea, but I would take it one step further and remove all meat from the bones and skin first and simmer only the meat to minimize solids in the first place...

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

[QUOTE=Revvy;4697542]I have some beautiful schmaltz in my freezer from all those chickens I help butcher last summer.
QUOTE]

Wait a minute...is a reverend allowed to say "schmaltz"???

Quick Reply