Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Chest Freezer Humps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Rockweezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest Freezer Humps

I recently made a 2 changes in my a keezer and have seen a huge jump in the electric bill ($80) without any other major changes in electricity uses in the house.

First, I revamped my keezer collar to connect it to the lid and stain the new wood a different color. I haven't yet attached foam to inside collar however. I know I need to do that. Checked it with a flashlight and can't detect any noticeable leaks.

Next, I have a 5 gallon plastic canister (like one for dog food) on the hump filled with water that pumps through my wort chiller placed in my water bath. Maybe my chest freezer is running all the time (for an hour sometimes) because of this. Regardless, this can't go on like this.

Diamond Head Brewery (DHB)

Carboy #1: Tallgrass Talcyon Wheat
Carboy #2: Full Sail Amber Clone
Carboy #3: Graff
In the Hole: Keg #5: Citra Pale Ale

Keg #1: Darth Vader (Black IPA)
Keg #2: Smash Ale
Keg #3: Amayson Saison
Keg #4: Citra Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I would look elsewhere for an electrical problem...A/C, hair dryers, clothes washers/dryers, fans running 24/7 because of the heat? even if your chest freezer ran 5 hours a day that wouldn't cost an extra 80 bones, unless your paying .75 per Kwh or more. Perhaps a pool pump running more? Its summer all your fridges are running more!

Electrical draws can be found (or at least the start of locating them) by looking at your meter and having someone turn off 1 breaker at a time untill you find the 1 that is spinning your meter real fast. Make sure all compressors (A/C, and all fridges/freezers) are on at the time of testing.
Sounds odd to have an $80 jump from month to month. Did your rates go up? Call your city..
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
prrriiide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Get thee to Home Despot and buy a Kill-A-Watt and hook it up to your keezer. That will tell the tale.

I would check to make sure that you didn't bollix the seal on the keezer when you did your mods. But Jaybird's right...$80 is an awfully big jump from just a keezer. Especially with those cool ocean breezes...

Quick Reply