The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cherry stout delimma

View Poll Results: Add cherry flavoring??
Keep the recipe as intended, at least youll know if you like the cherry flavoring or not. 4 40.00%
Fruit doesnt go in beer you pansy, leave that great beer alone! 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
CeJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cherry stout delimma

Earlier this month I brewed a cherry stout to have ready for valentines day. It was AHS's recipe that came with a little bottle of cherry flavoring that you add at bottling/kegging. I know about the controversy of cherry flavor vs real cherries causing a fake cough syrupy taste but ive never used it before and figured what the hell.

Now heres the problem. I havnt added the cherry flavoring yet and I tasted it yesterday and its AWESOME!!! Probably ranks up as one of the top beers that ive ever made. I dont know if I should add the cherry flavoring like I had previously intended or leave this great beer the way it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
gomb
Recipes 

Flavor half the batch. That way you have an awesome beer and a potentially awesome different beer!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You don't have to flavor the entire batch. Just flavor at serving time when you feel like it. That way you can also adjust the intensity of flavor to whatever you feel like at the time. Just takes a drop or three.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomb View Post
Flavor half the batch. That way you have an awesome beer and a potentially awesome different beer!
WINNER!

Quick Reply