Cheers! New shatterproof pint glass.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, thats what a pub owner is going to do. Pay twice as much for a glass. What the hell is going on over there?

Thats interesting.

Would you rather have an imperial pint glass slammed into your face and have it shatter, or remain solid?

At one stage they were threatening to force certain pubs to ban glass altogether. Beer would be served in paper cups. This is a much better option.
The bartender reckons in one fight they lost 50 glasses - thats a costly excersise to replace.

"Officials swore the country would save billions in health care costs by coming up with a glass that doesn't double as a lethal weapon."

Pure awesome. Somebody should have told Obama that our health care issues could be solved just as easily. Actually strike that, he might want to add pint glasses to the list when he reinstates the assault weapon ban.

"There are about 87,000 alcohol-related glass attacks each year, with many resulting in hospital visits,"

Thats an impressive number

You know, that is just some crazy $hit. I think it is all a result of that darned futball over there. Oooh, Manchester scored a goal, lets riot and bust up some pint glasses on peoples faces....I mean, goals don't happen that often so they have to really whoop it up when they do :)

Now even though the beer will stay at the correct tap temperature longer in some sort of plastic glass, I would miss the feel of a good quality glass in my hand. I would also feel like i couldn't defend myself properly with plastic if someone snuck some glass into the pub.

You know, that is just some crazy $hit. I think it is all a result of that darned futball over there. Oooh, Manchester scored a goal, lets riot and bust up some pint glasses on peoples faces....I mean, goals don't happen that often so they have to really whoop it up when they do :)

Now even though the beer will stay at the correct tap temperature longer in some sort of plastic glass, I would miss the feel of a good quality glass in my hand. I would also feel like i couldn't defend myself properly with plastic if someone snuck some glass into the pub.

The glasses aren't plastic it looks like they put a thin film of plastic between two layers glass much like a windshield on a car. They have a real problem with this over there .. How many people get killed/injured over a football game here?

I use polycarbonate Imperial Pint glasses from Wally World all the time.

They cost a little under $2, are light weight and the beer does tend to stay colder a little longer.

I have glass pint glasses, too. Both do a fine job of getting the beer from the tap to my mouth.

:drunk:

Forget broken glasses the real problem is people spilling beer. I think we should all be drinking from sippy cups to protect from the real crime that is spilling glorious beer!

yeah, thats what a pub owner is going to do. Pay twice as much for a glass. What the hell is going on over there?

You really think they're going to get a choice? This glass is being introduced by the government claiming it's a way to reduce health care costs. I'd be shocked if it didn't become mandatory.

Who cares. Would you complain if you had a British made bitter in a Solo Cup? Not me, thanks to college and the Beast.

This made me laugh, nice.

What about making glasses out of better bottle material? PERT?

You really think they're going to get a choice? This glass is being introduced by the government claiming it's a way to reduce health care costs. I'd be shocked if it didn't become mandatory.

Probably right.
This does not bode well for us if the government actually passes the health care thing here. I had not thought of such wide reaching ramifications of a system run by the man.

"Officials swore the country would save billions in health care costs by coming up with a glass that doesn't double as a lethal weapon."

Pure awesome. Somebody should have told Obama that our health care issues could be solved just as easily. Actually strike that, he might want to add pint glasses to the list when he reinstates the assault weapon ban.

Somehow that logic doesn't translate well to the aluminum baseball bat...;)

I would also feel like i couldn't defend myself properly with plastic if someone snuck some glass into the pub.

Trust me, nobody in their right mind would "sneak in" a glass to a pub with the intention of using it as a weapon. Do you ever choose your glassware based on their potential as a weapon?

Not to mention, if you live in America you shouldn't be worried about glass fights, because we have gun fights. I'd be much more worried about the newest NFL star player sneaking a gun in and shooting you then some crazy soccer fan hitting you in the face with a pint glass.

In regards to the article, as long as that strengthening compound lining the inside of the glass doesn't alter the flavor of the beer, why not? It seems to me like nobody will know the difference between the glasses until a fight breaks out.

How did they come to the conclusion that the glasses were the issue?

People are getting into fights and using the nearest thing as a weapon. If its not the glass, then they will be breaking chairs over their heads. What is next, are they going to mandate Nerf chairs to protect people?

How did they come to the conclusion that the glasses were the issue?

People are getting into fights and using the nearest thing as a weapon. If its not the glass, then they will be breaking chairs over their heads. What is next, are they going to mandate Nerf chairs to protect people?

Bean bag chairs?

Sporks (don't want any nasty fork wounds)?

No hot soup?

Ban Darts?

:D

Back