The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > cheap way to control fermentation temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
EFSbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default cheap way to control fermentation temp?

Hi all. I'm on my second brew and I was wondering if any of you knew of a cheap way to keep a steady temp. I live in a cold snowy area of Arizona and I had troulbe keeping my last brew at the proper temp. I don't have the funds to buy a cheap fridge and add a controller to it but I really want to keep it as steady as possible since this will be my Christmas beer and I spent a lot on ingredients. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Why not just keep it in your house? I fermented at 75 deg for years until I rigged my fermenterator and my beer was always good.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Look into a swamp cooler. Large bucket, water, ice that you change out.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Put in a closet. If too cold, put in a ligh with the old bulb. You may need to change the wattage to get to the temp. Mid sixties for ales.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
beertastic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Put the fermenter in a large tub of water, and put an aquarium heater in the tub as well.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I second the swamp cooler method. If you keep your house around 68 you don't really even need to put ice in the bucket. Just fill a bucket with some water, sit your fermenter down in it, get a towel wet and wrap the fermenter. The ambient air temp around 68 should keep the fermentation below 80, but the wet towel around the fermenter will aid in keeping it cool in case that temp starts to rise because of the reactions occurring in the fermenter.

But always remember, things are different with every house. I've got a neighbor who just leaves his fermenter in his house with the air temp at 75 and his beers never produce off flavors associated with high fermentation temps, but if do the same, my beer turns out pretty badly.

Just experiment around w everything... And eventually get a ranco dual controller... Best investment I've made.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertastic View Post
Put the fermenter in a large tub of water, and put an aquarium heater in the tub as well.
+1....I would add to place the fermenter somewhere that is colder by at least 10 degrees from your fermentation temp. That way you will never overshoot your temps. Let the aquarium heater do its' job.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Look into a swamp cooler. Large bucket, water, ice that you change out.
this is what I do too,,plastic tub from Wal-Mart 7 bucks. frozen water bottles,free......as cheap as you can get

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 11-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
EFSbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey thanks for the quick replies. I don't want to wait until I have the fridge/controller setup cause I'm impatient, Haha. I think I'll try the bucket and aquarium heater method and I do have a spare room I can put it in thats a few degrees cooler. I want to keep it pretty steady since the beer I'm fermenting is big (old rasputin) and figured fusel alcohol production would ruin it.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I really like Old Rasputin and not trying to burst your bubble,but it would not be at its prime by this Christmas. I had one last nite that I bottled over a year ago and it was great.Also use a blowoff tube with it.

Quick Reply