Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > charcoal filter in hose line?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
postalbunny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Lead... If the hose doesn't say it's safe for drinking water then the parts used tp make the hose may contain lead, and also other rubber off flavors. I picked one up at wallmart for $15. Beyer safe than sorry.

Also, a lot of people have suggested that you need to limit the flow to one gallon per minute to prevent "breakthrough" where some particles can slip through the filter due to force. So pulling 5 gallons should take 5 mins, I use a on/off valve to limit my rate. Built one of the whole house filter setups, cost aprox $75 to build.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
richkev
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill
THIS is hard to beat for convenience. You might be able to build one a couple of dollars cheaper.. but.. considering time and gasoline..
+1. I have this set up with an rv hose from Lowes. Works great and the water tastes good. I'm pretty sure it isn't fine enough of a filter to remove minerals from the water, but it definitely gets rid of the chlorine. Just remember to run it at approximately 1 gallon per minute.

Beerboyfeelgood!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Some of the filters are dual purpose and have some ion exchange resins in them. I think we are simply looking for charcoal filters. They will remove most all chlorine IF the water running thru them is slow enough.. force feed the water thru them and it's a guess. I don't think it will remove chloramine. Get a campden tablet.

I boil my water anyhow.. even from the tap. So, what the filter doesn't remove.. the boiling will. Just being safe.. the drill is.. sanitize, sanitize and ?? oh yah, sanitize. No infections so far.

Quick Reply