Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Changing the recipe a tad, have questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
Gtrman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Changing the recipe a tad, have questions

Well, tomorrow is a brew day, hooray! I'm going to cook up a strong winter ale to be bottled and mostly be given as christmas presents. Anyway, I found a recipe that looked good, but I wanted it to strengthen it up a bit in the alcohol department. The recipe called for 6# of amber LME and 1# of amber DME. A guy at my LHBS instructed me that I should add 2# of super light LME, so I will. I didn't think to ask until I got home, but should I change anything else to balance out the change in taste from adding a bit of extra malt? The recipe calls for 1.5 oz of cluster hops (60 min.), .75 oz chinook (15 min.), and .75 oz hallertau (5 min.). The chinook and hallertau were only sold in 1 oz packets, so should I maybe add the full ounce of each? What would you fine folks do here?

Uhhhm...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Ah, excellent question. After inputting the recipe into beersmith, it would appear that with the recipe you posted, including the 2# of extra light DME, your IBU:GU (International Bitter Unit to Grain Unit ratio) would be 0.613. That puts it slightly above balanced, into the bitter side. I'd say you're fine with that recipe!

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Gtrman13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for doing that! I have a mac, so no beersmith for me Maybe I'm dense, but did you mean the original recipe is balanced, or the changed recipe is balanced?

Uhhhm...

Quick Reply