Changes in view towards beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nookuler

Reaction score
Well, it's finally happened. Since I've started brewing beer, I no longer want to drink beer just to get drunk. I now drink beer to taste, savor, and enjoy it. I don't think of myself as a beer expert, but I'm headed that way shortly. I'm sure I'm now in the majority of brewers that feel the same way. Thanks guys for introducing me to a whole world of awesomeness.

I didn’t discover craft beer until a few years ago. Back in college I drank beer to get drunk. I didn’t believe people who said they drank beer for the taste because beer tasted like crap. At least the beer I was drinking did. But I choked it down at parties and when hanging out, not always to get drunk, but at least to get a buzz and to be more social. I never kept beer at home because it seemed pointless to drink beer alone when I could just have a Coke, which tasted better.

I’m not going to say I never get drunk anymore but it is rare. Once every year or two. But I tend to drink on a daily basis now because I actually enjoy the taste of what I drink. In general, when I have craft beer or homebrew on hand, I drink one pint with dinner during the work week. On the weekend I tend to have two pints. I drink them slow and I savor every sip. In my BMC days I would chug that stuff down. With craft beer I smell the beer before every sip and let the brew linger on my tongue. Getting drunk would just kill those wonderful flavors.

Well, it's finally happened. Since I've started brewing beer, I no longer want to drink beer just to get drunk. I now drink beer to taste, savor, and enjoy it. I don't think of myself as a beer expert, but I'm headed that way shortly. I'm sure I'm now in the majority of brewers that feel the same way. Thanks guys for introducing me to a whole world of awesomeness.

Age did this for me well before I took up homebrewing.

Maybe I'm just well-rounded.... I stock everything from Busch Lite to the darkest of Imperial Stouts... it's all about the weather, my mood, and which friends are in attendance.

I still very much enjoy an ice cold BMC or two or 20 in the heat of the summer while boating or fishing.... :drunk:

Then again, I now also enjoy sitting by the fire enjoying the hoppiest of IPA's or the darkest of stouts... :mug:

No beer snob here.

Really you drank beer just to get drunk? I could never do that since I can finish 1 or 2 before I am full and the beer doesn't taste as good after that. There are much easier ways to get drunk than beer

I had an epiphany at Thanksgiving. In the rush to pack the car - I forgot to pack my beer. When we got there they had Miller Lite. I drank them without a problem - when I watch football with my brother in law I enjoy kicking back lite beers.

I don't drink to get drunk just a nice buzz; it was a very empty experience. I couldn't get a good buzz no matter how many beers I kicked back. Normally I drink 1 or 2 homebrews and I am set. I don't ever want to be a beer snob, but I think I have outgrown American Lite beers.

Now I don’t feel bad about adjusting the recipes on my brews to LOWER the ABV. :ban:

All those Strong Scottish Ales and Barely Wines had slowed down my drinking lately. I like appreciating the flavor of one and moving on to the next one. You cannot do that if you are on the floor.:drunk:

Welcome to the world of awesomeness.

i, too, used to drink just to get drunk. but no longer since i started homebrewing. i now drink beer to enjoy the beer. i even do as much as i can to aviod the big commercial companies (which is sometimes unaviodable) and drink the craft brews and homebrew. :mug:

Maybe I'm just well-rounded.... I stock everything from Busch Lite to the darkest of Imperial Stouts... it's all about the weather, my mood, and which friends are in attendance.

I still very much enjoy an ice cold BMC or two or 20 in the heat of the summer while boating or fishing.... :drunk:

Then again, I now also enjoy sitting by the fire enjoying the hoppiest of IPA's or the darkest of stouts... :mug:

No beer snob here.

QFT

It all depends on the mood, weather, and company! I appreciate the effort I put into my brews and the work of others in a good craft beer, but I am by no means above a BMC (minus the B cause it gives me the B ishes).

I just love beer, in all its forms.

Yep, while putting up the Christmas tree yesterday, I was having one of my homebrews (my first brew, IPA) and was thinking how delicious, yet green, my beer tasted. If I were a younger person, I probably would have chugged it without savoring the awesomeness that I created.

Weird. I have never drank any alcoholic beverages to get "drunk". I always liked the taste of beer, ever since I was um, 12 or so. I always wished there was a way to make beer that did not have any of the consequences of alcohol. But, alcohol is one of the key components of it's taste.

Like the taste of wine and good whiskey, too!

Back